· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Bosemani Rainbow showing odd reddish discoloration on tail...

0 Not allowed!
    My Bosemani Rainbow are showing suspicious reddish discoloration on their tail and seemingly odd scale spacing on their hind quarters. I'm not sure if this is due to age or stress or what have you but if any of you have any insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a video of my aquarium.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's looking like the problem is Septicemia. I've began using Maracyn. It was recommended to me by my LFS that I dissolve just a few pinches of the Maracyn in a shot glass of water and soak my fish food in it for approximately 4 minutes before feeding. Apparently this method will get the med right in to them as opposed to just dosing the water of the tank itself.

Does anyone else have any input on this method of administration or any experience treating septicemia?

PARAMETERS:
    PH: 7.5
    Ammonia 0.0
    Nitrite 0.1
    Nitrate 0.1
    26 degrees centigrade stable temp

PRODUCTS USED:

Top Fin Water Conditioner
    Top Fin Bacterial Supplement

EQUIPMENT:

26G Fluval Bowfront Aquarium
    C3 5 Stage Filter (50G)
    18" T8 15 Watt Aqua Fluorescent Light
    100Watt Marina Air Pump + Top Fin Disc Air Stone
    150 Watt Marina Heater

PRACTICES:

-20% weekly water change of local tap (rather good quality as it turns out) with conditioner ALWAYS used.
    -8 hours of light per day. On a mechanical timer.
    -1/3 of gravel vacuumed each week to preserve bacterial bed.
    -Filter is cleaned in stages, not all at once, and ALWAYS in dirty tank water. NEVER tap water. EVER.
    -My hands are always well rinsed with hot water when working in my tank (up to my elbows) and detergents and soaps are NEVER USED.
    -All ornaments/stones/woods are always boiled/baked/treated appropriately to mitigate the potential of unwanted fungus/bacteria/viruses etc.
    Last edited by SwornOath; 06-04-2013 at 09:14 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Septicemia in fish is most commonly caused by poor water conditions. How are you testing your water ?

The reason why I ask is that most of the fresh water test kits that are of pretty good quality, don't commonly test as low as 0.1ppm for nitrites and nitrates.

At any rate, the treatment is the same, lots of extra water changes to improve the water quality along with good anti bacterial and parasitic treatment. I would suggest paraguard: http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...ParaGuard.html
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum

Well, since you said you've received advice on the stocking of your tank, the only thing that I am going to say is those are some beautiful rainbows. And I mean that. I just hope that one day you put them in something bigger.... and when that day comes I'm sure that the barbs are going to want to go with them. IMO they are more enjoyable to watch swimming in a large tank.

I could not see the red to which you are referring. Any time that you suspect something's up, the first thing you should do is start doing water changes. That's really your first line of defense while you determine what the problem is.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I of course immediately tested my water. I use NutraFin Mini Master Test. Seeing that there was a very low nitrite and nitrate presence along with no ammonia I immediately ruled all that out. I did a 60% water change and let the tank sit for an hour. Then added in bacterial supplement.

I called a gent at a LFS that I have talked to off and on for some years now and it was he who recommended Maracyn to me. He was pretty happy to speak with me for quite a while and asked me a lot of the same questions I would expect on the forums. Stock, if I test, what my parameters are for my water today and if I had tested today. How long I have seen the condition present in my fish. Recent changes to my tank's environment. He even went as far as to tell me about the background of the development on a lot of commercial fish medication etc and how many are rejected meds that were developed for human studies. He's a guy with 23 years of commercial experience and has always given me courteous and very patient advice. He will openly advise that people buy things from other local shops or whatever instead of encouraging them to wait on his stock to re-ship so he can sell you things. I have NEVER gotten the impression that he was eager to sell me anything. He's really just a helpful and informative guy.

THAT SAID

He suggested soaking the food in maracyn as I had previously stated. I was just curious if anyone else has medicated food before and if they have had any success with it or if they have any tips on doing so.
    Last edited by SwornOath; 06-05-2013 at 01:20 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    You'll always know best what you are seeing. Pictures don't fully represent something, or video either. How recent is that video with regards to the problem?
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    These are a fairly deep coloration of Boseman's rainbow. There are several different variants to Boseman's. There is a Florida variant that is generally inbred, a variant that was imported early into Germany and came into the US through some keepers in Minnesotta and the Atinjyo variant. Your specimens look very similar to mine which are the German variant. This variant is a very orange fish that has a lot of red between the scales. The Atinjyo is a very red fish. The fish I have are 5 inches in length, I have a group of 4 of them in a 120 with 3 females. They are 2 1/2 years of age. At this age they spar and posture almost continuosly, they do make a lot of contact. Two of the fish with the most impressive coloration are always at odds over the alpha position. These two fish have an area on opposing sides of each other that is rubbed smooth from making contact. There are scales in this area and there is no sign of disease but there is an alteration of the scale from this interaction between them. They do often engage and do fin damage, it can be noticeable at times. Within the 120 there is ample coverage. I have removed them from each other but they are no longer the same robust fish without each to drive them. It seems they need each other to be complete. The spawning in this tank is done by the number three and four sub dominants. The two alphas are so engaged that they rarely do spawn. The situation in the 120 has gone about for around a year and a half. Considering the size of your tanking I would wonder if you have a very similar situation ongoing. You may be seeing marking from this sort of interaction. I have had to give a dip in hp several times due to minor fin damage. I have seen Boseman's at 7 inches in length 1 1/2 " thick, 5 inches tall and 12 years of age. They were a powerful fish at this size. They seem to just slowly continue to grow.

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, I'm not seeing anything wrong with them other than being in a tank too small for them. They are very active, fast swimmers and appreciate more space.

I have only used Maracyn per package directions and added it to their water. Maracyn is gram positive and Maracyn 2 is gram negative. Nearly all the diseases our fish get are gram negative.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 06-05-2013 at 02:34 AM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    1:15 look close at the tail fin.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SwornOath View Post
    1:15 look close at the tail fin.
    So the video is recent....

I would not be medicating. I mean, do you take antibiotics every time you "get sick"? Our bodies can fight off many things on our own, and so can the fish. Like I had said, start with water changes (not just one) and give it some time.

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10