· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    In fact all the fish will want the temperature to be higher than the minnows comfort zone, some a little and some a lot
    Yes, that is why I said this ^^^ the differences in comfort zones is from a little to a lot. All the fish's comfort zone is somewhere between 70 and 84 except the minnows, their highest recommended temp is 69F. Since all the others overlap, it makes the minnow the oddball.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, we just have a different perspective. The lower end of the glowlights overlaps the higher end of the other fish, and the high end of the white clouds (often stated well over 69) overlaps the low end of the other fish. So it's really a matter of the temp at which you want to keep the fish, and what temp range you want to pay attention to for white clouds.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    I suppose you are right. I however, like to keep things as close to what the fish needs and not what I want them to have.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

0 Not allowed!
    When what the fish needs is a range, one has a choice.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

0 Not allowed!
    I have found that in general, fish tend to do best when kept somewhere in the middle third of their comfort zones. They tend to be more succeptable to stress and diseases when kept at either extreme. This will also allow for the occasional rise or drop in temperature which can occur in our tanks due to the seasons, waterchanges etc.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Exactly KingFisher.

0 Not allowed!
    I don't heat my tanks, so I am obviously partial to keeping them cooler. Well, they are warmer in the summer and cooler in the winter. For a majority of our "tropical" fish, that's pretty much what the fish experience in the wild, so if it's good for nature then it must be good for my aquariums as well Only in fish tanks do the fish get a constant temperature.

Temperatures change on a daily basis, not just by season - it's not something to be afraid of in the aquarium unless it's SIGNIFICANTLY different. Even when doing a partial water change, any errors in temp matching will be minimized by the remaining water still holding the old temp. Obviously one would have to match temp better if a large water change is performed, but under normal circumstances it's not that important to get it all that exact because some variation is natural.
    Last edited by jaysee; 06-03-2013 at 12:11 AM.

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    In nature fish can go deeper or go to more shallow areas to deal with temperature fluctuations. They can't do that in our tanks.

0 Not allowed!
    Temperature changes are going to be much more drastic in nature than in the normal functioning of an aquarium, so it's a good thing that they can.

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee
    Temperatures change on a daily basis
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    Temperature changes are going to be much more drastic in nature than in the normal functioning of an aquarium
    Not if you are doing it right.

I thought the larger the body of water the more stable the environment? Hmm go figure.
    Last edited by mommy1; 06-03-2013 at 12:26 AM.