· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ram aggresion

Default ram aggresion

0 Not allowed!
    lately i have been seeing my gold or german blue ram being territorial. i can not tell if it is a gold or German but i am leaning towards gold.
    whenever a platy comes to the bottom of the tank where the ram his he chases them out of there.
    she leaves the neon tetras alone though
    i have always thought of rams as very peaceful creatures.
    as the ram is my favorite fish i wont want to return her.
    and the platy is the first fish i had in this tank i dont wanna part ways.
    can this be left alone
    she does not bite but chases them away. is this too stressful for the platy

0 Not allowed!
    Rams like all cichlids, will display territorial behavior. Gold rams are the xanthistic form of blue rams and have the same temperament. Unless the ram chases the other fish constantly, I do not see it being a problem.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    Nope. What also helps is decor that allows for clear territorial boundries. A jumble of some sticks and plants will allow the cichlid to create a home.

Awards Showcase

This is the closest I could find to a vampire, LMAO - Cliff Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    sorry about your angelfish - smaug Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R 
    I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    So long as the tank is big enough to allow the fish to actually get away, it should be ok. It's constant, unrelenting pursuit that stresses fish, eventually causing death.

However, you will have to continue to keep an eye on them. Depending on the age of the ram, as it grows larger, it may claim more space. There may come a point, depending on the size of your tank, that it will claim the whole tank, and then chase fish more constantly.

Also, from the specimens I've seen, its very easy to tell gold from german - the golds we have here are completely gold, with no black markings. German blue rams have black on them.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    agree to all above. Since the platy generally swims in the upper range of the tank and the rams prefer to bottom, it should be okay.
    From personal experience, however, I have seen one ram turn on another ram. It started chasing it relentlessly and nipping at it's tail. Over night, it had nipped almost all of the smaller ram's tail off. i had to move on to another tank. Feisty little creatures. (The tail did grow back BRW)
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    this happens almost every time she spots them in the bottom.
    the tank is a planted 20 gallon tank.
    i am going to see what happens and leave it.
    thanks.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Some cichlids have diff. personalities I've had really mellow jack dempseys and some that were insanely aggro towards tank mates as an example. Some of it is just luck the rest is like previous posters said territory and size.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a roided out tiger angelfish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.
    Oh and they all get along amazingly!!! went through 4 BN plecos and 2 angelfish until I got ones with the right temperament but it's the most mellow tank now.

0 Not allowed!
    okay now i think it is getting real aggressive.
    it use to be whenever she spotted the platy it would just chase it a bit.
    now it kinda is trying to find the platy, and if he does he tries to nip it. a few times she did.
    this still happens near the bottom but my platy seem to like to chill there.
    i think i will have to remove the platy (like the ram better).
    if i do remove the platy can i add another ram?

0 Not allowed!
    also if not another ram what can i add that has a bold personality and some nice colors too

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    you can't add another ram to your set up.

so you have to fix what you have-remove the platy or remove the ram.