· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default How to get snails off of new driftwood?!?

0 Not allowed!
    I just bought a new pice of driftwood and noticed a few very small snails. How do I get rid of them? Would letting it sit out and dry out for a day work? Also what is the the quickest way get rid of the snails. I have not put it in my tank yet and would like to soon.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you can see them just pick them off not sure about any eggs though.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They were just TINY babies. I ended up using hydrogen peroxide.

0 Not allowed!
    that works. I normally treat any new plants I buy with potassium permanganate. It will take care of any snail eggs that hitchhike in on plants. Can probably use that on the driftwood as well. You want to be careful using it though, it does tend to stain hands/clothes a purple color.

If you are worried about other stuff hiding in the driftwood, can pour boiling water over it. Or put the piece of wood into a bucket of water with some bleach in it. Then rinse the heck out of it and let it bake in the sun till the bleach smell is gone.

0 Not allowed!
    If you can't find, or don't want to buy potassium permanganate, use 1 part bleach, to 19 parts water. And let it soak in that for a couple of minutes. Then rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse in fresh water. Then let it completely dry in the sun, and rinse again. Pest snail are impossible to get rid of once you have them in your tank. Just letting it dry out won't cut it.

0 Not allowed!
    Weird to buy wood and have snails on it. Driftwood is generally processed and cleaned prior to selling. Some processing plants even boil it for a bit to kill bugs in it. Perhaps you bought it from a private seller?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I bought it from a LFS near my house. It came from one of their tanks, all of their tanks seem to have snails in them.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ><))>WBW<((>< View Post
    I bought it from a LFS near my house. It came from one of their tanks, all of their tanks seem to have snails in them.
    I've seen this too. Some of my LFS sell driftwood straight from their display tanks. The benefit is that it's already waterlogged and fish safe, the downside is that you get whatever was in the tank with it. I personally prefer to buy dry, clean wood.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    They did have quite a few dry pieces as well, none of them stood out to me though(except one really cool piece but it was $90)