· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

【ツ】 - korith   Because you've decided on l200 - talldutchie   

Default How to get snails off of new driftwood?!?

0 Not allowed!
    I just bought a new pice of driftwood and noticed a few very small snails. How do I get rid of them? Would letting it sit out and dry out for a day work? Also what is the the quickest way get rid of the snails. I have not put it in my tank yet and would like to soon.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    If you can see them just pick them off not sure about any eggs though.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    They were just TINY babies. I ended up using hydrogen peroxide.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   No Message - Aydreean   Thanks! Here's a shrimp for ya. - Flakes4Bait   Thank you!!! - harpua2002   Merry X-mass, and thanks for the help this past year - Cliff   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    that works. I normally treat any new plants I buy with potassium permanganate. It will take care of any snail eggs that hitchhike in on plants. Can probably use that on the driftwood as well. You want to be careful using it though, it does tend to stain hands/clothes a purple color.

If you are worried about other stuff hiding in the driftwood, can pour boiling water over it. Or put the piece of wood into a bucket of water with some bleach in it. Then rinse the heck out of it and let it bake in the sun till the bleach smell is gone.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

【ツ】 - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    If you can't find, or don't want to buy potassium permanganate, use 1 part bleach, to 19 parts water. And let it soak in that for a couple of minutes. Then rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse in fresh water. Then let it completely dry in the sun, and rinse again. Pest snail are impossible to get rid of once you have them in your tank. Just letting it dry out won't cut it.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Weird to buy wood and have snails on it. Driftwood is generally processed and cleaned prior to selling. Some processing plants even boil it for a bit to kill bugs in it. Perhaps you bought it from a private seller?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I bought it from a LFS near my house. It came from one of their tanks, all of their tanks seem to have snails in them.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - steeler1   Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   We can only try...lol - Slaphppy7   For helping me remember, and for all you do! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ><))>WBW<((>< View Post
    I bought it from a LFS near my house. It came from one of their tanks, all of their tanks seem to have snails in them.
    I've seen this too. Some of my LFS sell driftwood straight from their display tanks. The benefit is that it's already waterlogged and fish safe, the downside is that you get whatever was in the tank with it. I personally prefer to buy dry, clean wood.
    ~Manna
    120 gallon FW bowfront in progress

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    They did have quite a few dry pieces as well, none of them stood out to me though(except one really cool piece but it was $90)