· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Melini corys are lethargic lately since the heat wave, are they ok at 80 degrees?

0 Not allowed!
    I have my tank temp set at 78 but it's closer to 80 most of the time; they go crazy at feeding time but unlike my sterbais they don't constantly swim around. Planet catfish has the upper end temp for them at 78.8 degrees so should I be worried? they eat like pigs but they just seem to be mellowing out since the heat wave here in PA when I'm not home the tank might get closer to 82 but that's as high as it ever gets.

I should mention I tested my tank and everything is 0 except nitrates which reach 5ppm max before my water changes.
    Last edited by FishGuy67; 06-02-2013 at 12:04 AM.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a roided out tiger angelfish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.
    Oh and they all get along amazingly!!! went through 4 BN plecos and 2 angelfish until I got ones with the right temperament but it's the most mellow tank now.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would feed them a bit lighter at the higher temperatures. A belly full of feed can pull oxygen from the blood or load the blood with nutrients lowering the capacity of the blood to carry oxygen. At a warmer temperature the primary thing that will harm them will be oxygen availability. Perhaps add another air stone or air source so that the dissolved oxygen content of the water is kept high.

Like me these Corys sound like they lie around a bit when hot. It's a shame we can't just give them a cool beverage to keep them happy.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good point, I don't have any airstones but I have my emp 400 and emp 200 filters setup so they push oxygen down to the bottom of the tank the water levels like 2 inches below the top so it's heavily oxygenated. I didn't think of the food but you make a really good point but still the sterbai eat as much and don't mind it tho planet catfish says they are fine at higher temps.

I don't think they will die or anything I'm just use to them being all over the water column like my sterbais. They call them bottom dwellers but my sterbai and my melinis when it isn't so hot spend half their time on my driftwood or plants swimming from one to the other or simply swimming in the front of the tank checking for food then check the sand.

They are so use to my hands in the tank I actually had one of my sterbai's go up and down my arm hair like he was checking for food when I was moving plants. It sounds silly but it was really cool how use to me they have become.

Everyone says sterbai corys are shy but I think it depends on your tank setup and how you feed/socialize yourself with them. It really helps to have a large group of tetras that are calm because they take note of it and are calm and active when the tetras are happy. Also being close and moving your hand when and where they feed seems to help a lot; my tetras will even take flake from my hand now. I'm working on getting my corys to take bloodworms from my fingers too. I did the same with a lot of my large catfish and cichlids when I had bigger tanks and it worked; my jack dempsey would let me touch his head like a dog lol (yes I know it's not good for the slime coating but it was fun to do once in awhile).
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a roided out tiger angelfish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.
    Oh and they all get along amazingly!!! went through 4 BN plecos and 2 angelfish until I got ones with the right temperament but it's the most mellow tank now.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Have you ever witnessed any spawning activity in the tank? In cooler water temps the males follow a female around up and down the glass looking to spawn. It sounds like you have an enjoyable aquarium.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I do see them chase each other sometimes the bigger ones get chased by the lil guys which I assume are the males I only noticed it with my sterbais. From what I read to spawn them you need to drop the temp a lot usually; I thought that was just playing. I kept my ac on all day today and my melini's are back to normal with the temp at 78; might cost me more in electric bills but It's worth it for the fish.

I'm debating if I wanna order a dwarf cichlid like a GBR from my LFS to finish my tank but I keep hesitating because then I can't get anymore fish lol; also they have some amazing color morphs on aquabid but it'd be like 50 bucks just to ship them.

My lease says no more than 1 fish tank and it has to be under 5gs she let me have a 29g but I can't have any others if any of my fish spawn like my lemon tetras did before I have nowhere to put the eggs except a lil net hatchery in the tank.

I miss my 11 year old jack dempsey may he RIP but this is the best overall tank I've ever had.

Awards Showcase

Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA 
    Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED 
    For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    please post some pics of your tank. it sounds really nice.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I borrowed an old 5.2 mega pixel cam and have been trying to get the fish but most of the time they are blurry since they don't ever wanna stop moving; I'm fairly new to taking aquarium pics but I got a few decent ones of the tank.

This one is the most recent my plants are really taking off.
    Last edited by FishGuy67; 06-05-2013 at 12:51 AM.