· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Wild tadpoles in Rubbermaid "pond"...

0 Not allowed!
    Earlier this season, I discovered a frog or toad had evidently laid eggs in the sunken Rubbermaid tub I had buried in my flowerbed as a water feature. They hatched, and now there are several little black tadpoles swimming around in there.

I stacked up some rocks and set up a birdbath agitator to keep the water moving and oxygenated. I also covered the surface with faux lily pads and water lilies to provide cover and shade.

Awhile back, I threw an aquarium plant into the pond, and the tads have apparently been feeding off it. I also got some tadpole pellets from the LFS to supplement their diet.

It has been raining these last several days, so the water level has risen considerably. The pond is now as full as it can get.

I plan on changing about a third of the water every week or so and adding freshwater from our private well (no chlorine or chloramines).

Can't tell if these will become frogs or toads, but wouldn't it be nice if they continue to survive in there to fully morph?

Any suggestions on what else I can do to ensure they stay healthy? I'm beginning to see the tiny stubs along their bodies that will eventually become their legs. They're really rather cute, and a nice natural surprise to start off the Spring season.

--mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If they got this far, you must have done something right :) Just keep doing what you are doing. IME, tadpoles are troopers, just make sure the water stays clean.
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Keep cats away from them, and they'll do great in there. You're taking better care of them than most people do. I think they're probably toads, from the location, but they could still be frogs. About how large are they, and could you snag one in a jar and stick a picture up here? I know a little bit about different tadpole species and can tell you if something is a frog or a toad, if it's one I'm familiar with.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae

0 Not allowed!
    They're black, and my guess would be around an inch long. They're heavy-bodied with fairly thick tails. Their bodies are box-shaped with the tiniest nubs on each side.

I still occasionally see one or more when they temporarily surface. Strange, through. They don't seem to be developing very fast. I would have expected to see more obvious leg formation by now. Although I've been told that if they're frogs, they'll take the entire summer to develop, whereas toads would only take a couple of months.

We do have tree frogs around here, and I haven't seen any toads in years. My guess is they're probably frogs.

Not sure I can capture any, as the water is quite murky and they're hard to see. Anytime they surface, the slightest shadow of movement sends them diving to the bottom. I'll see what I can do, photo-wise.

Thanks for yor input.

-- mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Toad tads are smaller than that, most of the time. They're probably frogs, yes. How are they doing? If you want, you can try to keep a few in, say, a 5g so you can more closely watch them develop. Feed them either a whole lot of frozen-then-thawed lettuce, nori, algae wafers, or whatever combo you like. Many frog tads also need protein, like any flake fish food, or they may start eating toes when their legs start to develop.
    I hate hearing people say "it's only a $3/$5/$1 fish/shrimp, so it's ok if it dies, I can just get another." It's still an animal! All animals should be treated like they're worth $10,000.
    29 sw: Damsel, shrimpgoby, pistol shrimp, waspfish
    65 fw: Rummies, glowlight tetras, pencilfish, darters, ottos, f betta, goby, dwarf gourami, ninjas
    29 fw: Chili rasboras, pygmy cories, P. Gertrudae