· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Plants turning yellow/moldy brown in 10 gallon

0 Not allowed!
    I have crypts, wisteria, and an aponogeton bulb in my 10 gallon aquarium. I just got some anubias nana too but they're ok for now. My other plants are just turning yellowish and some leaves are moldy brown. I have an ac 20 filter. I dose flourish excel daily, flourish comprehensive once a week, and I just put in some root tablets. My lights stay on 10 hours a day and they're 2 10-watt mini fluorescent lights. My gravel is just generic. My fish are 1 female beta, 1 longfin skirt tetra, 1 honey gourami, 2 x ray tetra, and 1 nerite snail. Temp stays around 78 degrees.

Current water reading: nitrate 20, nitrite 0, ph 7.5, KH 120, GH 120, ammonia 0.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this? I know I have hard water, could that be harming the plants or not?

0 Not allowed!
    You don't need to be using flourish excel daily, maybe just twice a week. The root tablets maybe once eery 4-5 weeks, you can always check to see if the previous one is gone before replacing it. The bulbs you have I think are fine, I have used similar ones when I had a planted 10g. The bulbs might be labelled as daylight or superdaylight, you want to around the 6500-6800 spectrum range.

The stems of the wisteria, do they feel soft and mushy? Or they still have a solid feel to them?

How long have you had the plants in the tank for? Plants do go through an adjustment phase, and may take a while to root in the tank. I have put plants into a tank, then look they are dying for a week or two, then bounce back with a vengeance and do perfectly fine.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by korith View Post
    You don't need to be using flourish excel daily, maybe just twice a week. The root tablets maybe once eery 4-5 weeks, you can always check to see if the previous one is gone before replacing it. The bulbs you have I think are fine, I have used similar ones when I had a planted 10g. The bulbs might be labelled as daylight or superdaylight, you want to around the 6500-6800 spectrum range.

The stems of the wisteria, do they feel soft and mushy? Or they still have a solid feel to them?

How long have you had the plants in the tank for? Plants do go through an adjustment phase, and may take a while to root in the tank. I have put plants into a tank, then look they are dying for a week or two, then bounce back with a vengeance and do perfectly fine.
    The stems feel firm on the Wisteria. I've had them for like a month so hopefully it's just a phase they're going through. The crypts on the other hand I've had for like a year. They're the first plant I ever got and I hear they can be hard to grow. My bulbs are in the 6500k spectrum, I just wonder if their wattage is sufficient for plant growth.

0 Not allowed!
    Does the moldy brown stuff on the plants wipe off to reveal healthy green leaves below? I recently had an insane diatom breakout in my tank. There was brown all over the glass and full coating the leaves of all my plants. 3 water changes a week and carefully cleaning it all away as soon as it came back took care of it. I still can't figure out what caused it, but I've heard it can happen in new tanks and tanks where there is a problem with the water quality.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi-
    Might be due to potassium deficiency but too much can lead to yellow leaves as well.
    A little bit of history would help, especially when the last plants were introduced and when you noticed this reaction.
    As you have a rather small tank, it takes longer for it to adapt. Two new plants is a big change.
    Without proper bioactivity, a plant might only uptake 30% of what you're feeding them. Note that bacteria break down nutrients and minerals to the molecular structure the plant can absorbed. It takes time for the bacteria to adapt, especially the ones responsible for the biological mineralization.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the replies. The moldy brown stuff is not rubbing off so it definitely is the plants. I've had the crypts for like a year and they literally always do this but stay alive lol. It's mainly the wisteria I'm worried about (I'll worry about the crypts later). I've had the wisteria I think for a month or more. I recently spent a week where I only gave 8 hours of light a day in order to decrease algae. The algae went away completely but I noticed the plants turning brown so I'm worried that's what caused it. I'm never bringing the hours below 10 again, I just hope the Wisteria bounce back and look pretty again.