· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Almost there? Ammonia is gone and nitrites are up!

0 Not allowed!
    Hopefully I'm reading my test results correctly. It looks like 0 ammonia, LOTS of nitrites and a good amount of nitrates. Correct?

I purchased an active foam filter from Angels Plus but it had quite a few snails in it so I took some of my tank water and rinsed the foam filter with it. Made sure there were no visible snails in the water and dumped it in the tank. It seemed to get things started but I was impatient so I added some Dr Tim's live bacteria. That seems to have really jumped things off.

Ammonia appears to be gone, nitrItes seem to be spiking and nitrAtes are definitely rising. I think I should do a 50% water change and bring the ammonia back up to 1ppm. Do you folks agree?

Thanks for any and all feedback!
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    Don't do the water change till you are cycled. Just add a little more ammonia and wait for the ammonia and nitrite to balence out a 0
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I figured since the nI and nA levels are almost off the scale I should try to bring them down but leaving it alone makes sense too. Ammonia added!

Thanks!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yesterday I added 60 drops of ammonia, tested an hour later and had 1ppm. 24 hours later the ammonia is all gone again. NitrItes are now off the scale. The results are deep purple. NitrAtes have gone up also, seems to be over 80ppm now. Should I add another 60 drops of ammonia? And still no water change, correct?

I'm using Dr Tims ammonia which says 1 drop per gallon should equal 2ppm. I have found it takes 2 drops per gallon just to get 1ppm.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, dose back up to 1ppm of ammonia when it hits 0ppm, but do not dose more than once a day.

What level of ammonia did you orginally start cycling with ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    2ppm was the max.

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like your right on track then
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm fairly sure (not certain) that the NitrAte test isn't worth anything when the Nitrite levels are high. I tested them diligently for a week as nitrites rose from 3ppm to 30ppm, the nitrAte test followed from 10ppm to 80ppm, in step with the nitrIte test as it rose. Doing some basic nitrogen chemistry sums the amount of ammonia I added would EITHER make 30ppm nitrIte OR 40ppm nitrAtes, not both and not 30ppm nitrIte AND 80ppm nitrAte.

I conclude that either the NitrAte test is rubbish when there is lots of nitrite or I suspiciously, right at the same time had Nitrate coming from somewhere else.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great! I will continue to test every 24 hours and add ammonia when the level drops to 0.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Today's nitrItes are still off the scale. I did a second test splitting the sample 50/50 with distilled water, still off the scale. I did a third test splitting the sample twice to get a 25% solution. Finally not off the scale but still very purple. NitrItes have to be over 10ppm. I've read that this can create a stall. Are you sure I shouldn't do a water change?