· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question 75 Gallon New world cichlid stocking questions.

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 55 gallon and I am about to upgrade it to what I believe is a 75 or close to that. Right now I have 1 Convict 1 Firemouth 1 Jack Dempsey which is still young about 4 inches and 1 Green Terror which is still a baby at 1 inch. I know that my stocking is horrible but I inherited it and I am trying to make these fish happy.

Right now the only thing that seems off is that the JD hangs out around the top corner and sometimes the fish seem a little stressed. I was hoping to lose as few of these fish as possible and also hoping to add something like a Blue Acara, or a Thread Fin Geophagus. I take good care of the fish as far as the water quality goes.

Which fish should I take out and can I add any fish?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The 75g has the same territory space as the 55 g, basically 4 feet in length. If you want to increase your stocking go to a 6 foot long tank like a 125g (72x18x20).

The JD is stressed out from an aggressive cichlid, either the convict or FM. Figure out which one is the aggressor, and rehome it, if you want to keep the JD.

I wouldn't put the blue acara and GT together because they look so much alike that there is a high possibility of aggression between the 2.

If you are getting a 75g, I would not include the aggressor:

convict or FM, geophagus (Acarichthys heckelii), and JD

or

convict or FM, green terror and JD (a little bit overstocking in terms of bioload)

or

convict or FM, geophagus (Acarichthys heckelii), and green terror

or

convict or FM, blue acara, and JD

You are going to have to decide what you like best, but as I said before, find out who is freaking the JD, because there's also the possibility it will freak out your new cichlid.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 05-31-2013 at 05:07 PM.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Rehome the convict and GT. Go with Sev's, Acara and Geo's. I would go more toward tapajos because they hold their own a tad better in these conditions. Just make sure all geos are at least 3in in size when bought. THey are slowest growers of the tank and need a head start.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The firemouth is the main aggressor of the tank and it seems to be paired up with the convict so I think I am going to put both of them in a different tank so they are still together. Would JD, GT and Acarichthys heckelii fit?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In short term they might but the aggression will determine how it plays out. In the long term, if there are no aggression issues, no.The GT gets up to 12", the heckelii gets up to 8", and the JD gets up to 10", the bioload would be immense on that aquarium.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I can't find any hecklii for sale anyways. Are there any dither fish that would survive?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    The 75g has the same territory space as the 55 g, basically 4 feet in length. If you want to increase your stocking go to a 6 foot long tank like a 125g (72x18x20).
    A 75 has a 50% larger footprint than a 55. I agree, if you want to open up your stocking potential, go with a 125.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

0 Not allowed!
    I would keep the convict and the firemouth. Then you could add some schooling fish. Medium to larger ones. Congo tetra. Possibly skirt tetra, though they may be nipped at. Tiger barbs. Buenos Aires tetra. Things along those lines. Bristle nose plecos would work. Emperor tetra. There are surely more. But those are what are coming to mind right now. I would stay away from more cichlids.

I would only keep two of the ones you have. Any two would/should work. Or re-home them all and start over. A 75 gallon will give you a decent amount of room, but not enough for some of the fish you are suggesting. Find two cichlids, and work around those.

Jack Dempsey are not always the aggressive fish their name suggests. Yours is probably feeling some stress from having the other cichlids with it. Plus they will grow to a bulky 12 inches. And produce a lot of waste. And as your's grows, it may start to live up to its name.

Green Terrors are about the same temperament as a JD. I think the JD and GT would work in a 75, but I would not keep anything else with them.

If you are wanting to keep a larger variety of cichlids, and are looking to get a bigger tank, I would look into a 125 too. A 75 would work fine for some things, and would definitely be a cool tank with some nice fish. With a 125 you could keep the fish you have, and still have some larger schooling ones too.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You could also simply divide the tank up if you had to to keep them from hurting each other anymore. Also I would get some dither fish they will take some aggro off the cichlids maybe some silver dollars or danios.

If you have enough hiding room and dithers you can keep a jack dempsey a convict and another in a 75g. I had a foot long jack, a 4 inch convict,a 10 inch pike cichlid, a raphael and pleco catfish along with a school of 8 silver dollars in my 75g and it worked fine; the cichlids would mouth lock but never really hurt each other though I'd lose a silver dollar once in awhile usually the smaller ones. I also had a ton of filtration with so many fish in there.

Maybe do like kim92 said with the 75g until the GT and jack are bigger then you could add the convict or maybe firemouth in.. If you have the filtration I'm a strong advopcate of dither fish to spread the aggro around when you have more than 1 cichlid.
    Last edited by FishGuy67; 06-02-2013 at 09:09 PM.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a rescued Siamese fighting fish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.