· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    How much water do you change at a time?

Fishmommie had asked about overfeeding - if that's the case, excess food can rot and cause ammonia - how often do you vacuum your substrate? How often do you feed your fish?

Are your nitrates still at 40?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I change 25 gallons in the 90 gallon tank, so it's a 28% water change. I generally feed 4 or 5 days per week, once per day, and every ounce of food I give is eaten. I've always been a little worried about overfeeding (because I did so when I started keeping fish) so I'm definitely sure I'm not overfeeding.

I've been avoiding vacuuming the substrate for the most part lately; trying to establish the beneficial bacteria. But even still it's getting vacuumed every 3-4 weeks maximum.

Nitrate: 20 I think? The 10 and the 20 look identical on my API liquid test kit. Maybe I'm slightly colorblind?

0 Not allowed!
    If you are showing an ammonia level and you are changing only 25%, then you still have ammonia levels after your water change. Get in there and start doing some 50-75% water changes. Another thing I was wondering about is your water conditioner. What kind are you using and are you using one that also takes care of chloramines? And are you using enough of it and every single time?

If you are adding the water conditioner to the tank prior to adding water, you have to use enough for the entire tank, not just what you are replacing, as well.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm using Stress Coat and I will add it does seem to becoming slightly less green with each partial water change. But it's so slight that it has continued to go on for several months (9 changes in the last 2 months in case you were curious). The green is essentially gone but the ammonia continues to exist at a low level.

I add the recommended amount of water conditioner for each partial water change. Meaning for every 5 gallon change I add the recommended 2.5ml of Stress Coat to the 5 gallons before putting it in my tank. I usually put in closer to 3 or 4ml just to be safe. And to your question Stress Coat specifically says it takes care of chlorine and chloramines.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would make sure you're using PURE ammonia to complete the fishless cycle and do not touch the filter media or do any water change until this process is complete. It is complete when you have 0 ppm of both ammonia and nitrite as well as less than 20 ppm of nitrate. I recommend dr.tim's ammonia that cost $3.19-$5.50 for a 2 oz. bottle and the cycle will be complete in about a month to a month and a half. Or if you want it complete in under a week get dr.tim's one and only nitrifying bacteria for around $18. I'll give you some links at the end of this post. Also, don't change the gravel or add anything and when the cycle is complete just take out water only for the first time do not use a gravel siphon and harm the beneficial bacteria. Here's is so link to the products and they will work or you can fishless cycle using fish flakes or some decomposed fish. Dr. tim's ammonia- http://www.amazon.com/DrTims-Aquatic...r.tims+ammonia OR
    http://store.drtimsaquatics.com/Ammo...ing_p_190.html. This is for the One and Only- http://www.amazon.com/DrTims-Aquatic...r.tims+ammonia OR http://store.drtimsaquatics.com/One-...uaria_p_3.html. Hope this helps and if you need any more information PM me.

0 Not allowed!
    Joshua.........he is not doing a fishless cycle. He has fish in the tank.

Zander......if you tank is getting sunlight, that would cause green water, as well. But it also causes reduced oxygen levels so you need to get that problem cleared up even if it requires the tank to be moved in another area. Good luck.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just giving a status update. I decide to switch the gravel in the tank for a much larger and less sand-like gravel. I feel like I've exhausted every other possibility. I always wanted a darker color so this is a good change even if it doesn't fix anything. I admit I didn't always vacuum the rocks every week, but especially recently I avoided it on purpose trying to establish the beneficial bacteria. When removing the gravel the tank went much, much, greener than I've ever seen it before. I did a water change. 24 hours later I tested the ammonia at 0.5, then did another water change.

Lady Hobbs - Yes the tank is semi-near direct sunlight. Morning sunlight though, which is much less intense than evening sunlight. And it's only semi-near the window. Not directly in front of it or anything. Do you think adding an airstone for oxygen would help?