· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding Prime

1. Default Adding Prime

0 Not allowed!
    Just a quick question on what everyone has found to be the best procedure for adding Prime. I currently use buckets and a siphon hose to do my water changes, so I have been trying to add a very small amount of prime to each 5 gallon load of water I fill up. I know some of you are using python's and the like, and so must be adding Prime directly to the tank. I am thinking it might be easier for me to do the same prior to adding my multiple buckets, but worry over destroying the bb I have built up prompted me to just clarify what works best for everyone.

So using my 20G as a reference, I would do my regular tank clean, gravel vacuum and water siphon. Then prior to adding water back, add a dose of prime for the whole 20G amount regardless of how much water I actually drained or will replace, then cart my water buckets over and add them. Then how long should I wait before turning my filter back on to be sure the prime has done its job?

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Many of us, including myself, do add the Prime directly to the tank however, it actually is better to add the Prime to each bucket of water. This way there is no chlorine or chloramine in your tank.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't mind adding it to each bucket, though dosing at that small of a level has been... well a guess, though I am erring on the side of caution and filling the cap to the first thread line. a gallon bucket should be .5ml right?

I am guessing a little too much prime will do no harm other then empty the bottle quicker, so I add the prime to the empty bucket (since the threads dont start right away I think I am likely adding a little more then 1ml to each bucket), fill it up and then go slowly pour it in.

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass 
    To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 
    BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 
    6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    For my 10 gallon, I need 1 ml of Prime per tank..and I use a medicine syringe filled to the 1 ml mark...When I do a WC, using the Python, I slowly squeeze out the Prime from the syringe into the stream of tap water coming from the Python

If you can get one of those medicine syringes from your local pharmacy (I think they'll give you one free if you ask) it would help, I think that they all come in ml measurements but not positive
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    turn off your filter if you are worried about the bacteria.

add prime to aquarium

put new water into aquarium (stir if you want, prime is an instant reaction) using buckets

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I turn the filter off first as the water level will drop below the minimum level for correct operation, also the power head.

Remove the water, I actually attached your typical gravel vacuum to a garden hose using adapters I bought from Home Depot (I don't use this garden hose for anything else but the tank). The thought of wasting several gallons of water for every gallon or so you remove with a Python or something similar was just stupid (especially for the size tank I had), and I did not want to do the whole bucket thing either.

Then I connect the hose back and start returning water to tank. I immediately add water conditioner (not currently using prime - but it works) and just a little more than required according to instructions. Once the water level meets the minimum for the power head I turn it back on to help circulate the water. Once the tank water level is back to where I like it I then put away all my equipment and conditioner, wipe the glass down where water splashed etc, about 20 minutes or so. Then I turn the filter back on.

I have not had any issues. Test the water about an hour later. I'm big on working smarter not harder.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, Red Wag Platy, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    I add prime directly to my tank at its low point when im using sponges. Otherwise I add it directly to a hob and let the water flow through there.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    I too use buckets for my freshwater tanks waterchanges, even though since last November my son has been doing them since I changed to saltwater.
    I would turn off the canister and HOB, vacuum the gravel taking water out of the tank, have my water buckets at the same temp. as the tank, add a cap-full of PRIME to each bucket (even though a cap full of Prime would condition the whole tank), stir the bucket for several seconds, and add the bucket to the tank. Once the water level was back up, I would start the filters up again.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    * Turn off filters
    * Drain 40% of the tank
    * Add enough prime for total volume of tank [For me: 1 or two capfuls depending on the tank]
    * Refill with appropriate temp water from python.
    * Restart filters

... Lather, Rinse, & Repeat on all tanks until WCs are done.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Before adding water, just add a full dose of prime and then add the water.