· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Help me plant my 29g tall. 36w t-5 15w compact lighting 67k

0 Not allowed!
    I already have some plants growing rather well like java moss, java fern, Madagascar lace, pothos, and peace lily (the last 2 can be kept underwater but the peace lily doesn't seem to do very well), multiple floating plants water sprite, duckweed, and water fern. I also have 4 nice banana plants putting up lilys I hope will flower and a single onion plant and some that don't root but stick in the ground which you see in the right side of the pic I don't know what those are; along with a bunch of high light ones that my lfs gave me and don't grow well that I want to replace with some off aquabid. I have no problem taking some of what I have out and selling it myself either so let the suggestions rip!

I use liquid fert and co2 with a steady 6 PH in a 3 inch sand bed I add root tabs to; I'd say lighting wise I'm looking at med. in most of the tank to low in some areas like under the driftwood in a spot or 2 but my 15w compact shines through the left side so I get a good spread of light even with lilys.

With my tank being so tall I'm looking for some rooted pref. colorful plants that grow up at least near the top of the tank in some parts which is about 15inches.

I'm also looking for some other plants that stay maybe under 6 inches again I stress colorful thin leaved but I'm open to anything.

I also need some background plants that are on the lower end light wise that grow up to 15inches because of how my driftwood blocks the light a bit so they would def. have to be between low and med light tall plants.

Any plants that would cling to driftwood besides java moss and fern would be nice too to cover my main large piece also my 2 lil ones.

This is a link to give you an idea of what the tank is you're working with it has pics before I added the 15w left side light. I plan to start ordering soon and would love some suggestions.

Last edited by FishGuy67; 05-29-2013 at 07:20 AM.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a rescued Siamese fighting fish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Don't be afraid to chime in!!! I intend to remove the swords, the peace lilys(most of the stuff you see on the bottom besides the banana plants), and eventually the pothos (it anchors the top floating stuff atm). I found some color variants of crypts were nice and minkeswetpets had a great deal on a big pack so I need ideas! so that I can change around his normal pack to suit my needs I need a grass idea and something good for attaching to the main driftwood!

Like what the hell is that plant u see on the right that is tall against the back and has many leaves but only rhyzomes? it dies when you plant it in the soil the part you stick under the soil to anchor it. It came with a large weight in a bundle what the heck is it? it grows great but the bottom dies in the soil.
    Last edited by FishGuy67; 05-29-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a rescued Siamese fighting fish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.

0 Not allowed!
    Ludwigia is a stemmed plant with a reddish color. If it gets too tall, can just cut it and plant the trimmed portion back into the tank. If you like floating plants, look for some red root floaters (Phyllanthus fluitans), like the name suggests, they have red roots, can help add color to the top of the tank.

Maybe dwarf sagitarria or some vals to help fill out the tank, maybe plant near the mid to back of the tank.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll check the red root floaters and the ludwigia out; I had a type of ludwigia and it didn't grow well but it was in terrible shape when I got it at a LFS. I got 12 plants to pick; I know there's some crypts he has that are brown and red as well. It also depends what he has in stock so I wanna get a nice list going. Keep em coming!!

Doesn't have to be red or brown even a nice shade of green I just want a tank people see and go wow look at that. They do that now sometimes lol but that's mostly because of the fish.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah the red root floaters are pimpin, but there's so many kinds of ludwigia could you be more specific? repens did you mean or arcuata aka needle leaf. There's a ton under ludwigia.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishGuy67 View Post
    Yeah the red root floaters are pimpin, but there's so many kinds of ludwigia could you be more specific? repens did you mean or arcuata aka needle leaf. There's a ton under ludwigia.
    I had ludwigia repens, had a nice colour to it. Though really a lot of the plant selection is going to depend on what you can find locally.
    Hmm had limnophila aromatica for a short time, fairly easy to grow with co2 setup and good lighting.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The only 2 LFS within 100miles have very little selection wise; anything like that I'll have to order off aquabid. I wonder if the 90+ degree heat I'm experiencing in PA would be a bad time to order them?

I also have to find a dependable seller off aquabid that sells the Ludwigia Repens I like how they look and they'd take all the spots my amazon swords are.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishGuy67 View Post
    The only 2 LFS within 100miles have very little selection wise; anything like that I'll have to order off aquabid. I wonder if the 90+ degree heat I'm experiencing in PA would be a bad time to order them?

I also have to find a dependable seller off aquabid that sells the Ludwigia Repens I like how they look and they'd take all the spots my amazon swords are.
    I think the plants would ship fine. I probably sound like a broken record to those who have read my replies before but, have you checked to see if there are any fish clubs in your area? They are often better local sources of plants and fish than the fish store. Aquabid is good, you could also checkout the buy/sell section on plantedtank.net forum.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I can't say I have even heard of any fish clubs around here. Any good places to check?

0 Not allowed!
    Aquariumplants.com always has a descent selction, and reasonable prices. I have bought from them numerous times. It is the only place I have bought plants that are not considered low light. I can only find low light plants locally. http://www.aquariumplants.com/

Take a look around that site. Even if you don't buy from there it will give you a good idea what is out there, and what the requirements are too keep it.

Look into Ludwigia Peruensis, Limnophila hippuroides, Red Cabomba, Tiger lotus, Myriophyllum heterophyllum. Those will all add some color to your tank.

Some foreground plants that may work, Marsilea quadrifolia. If you get that one, cut it all the way down. Then when it grows back, it will grow back in its submerged form. If you do not do this, it will die off, then grow back. Nothing wrong with that, but it will make a mess of your tank. Cryptocoryne parva would be nice too. Red Cryptocoryne Wendtii would also work.

I linked all the plants I mentioned.
    http://www.aquariumplants.com/Search...ion=PRODSEARCH
    http://www.aquariumplants.com/Tiger_...i_p/misc03.htm
    http://www.aquariumplants.com/Wendti...tii_p/cr09.htm