· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think it really is the options that r getting to me. I think if i just dumbed it down and went simple i would be done by now. LOL
    No politically incorrect jokes here.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Go with your instincts. Remember you can always change it up to make improvements later on. Hint, Water flows downhill. :)
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 
    Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA 
    It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 Congrats on 2,000 post! - Slaphppy7 Sorry to hear about the loss of your Cat :( - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Hi there, give this video a look see (1 of 4), visually it helped me a lot with "seeing" how a sump was set up along with Cliff's articles it really helped put it together for me.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Update:

Here is my Sump design.

Sump 002.jpg

First Chamber

Sump 004.jpg

Second Chamber

Sump 005.jpg

Third Chamber

Sump 006.jpg

Fourth Chamber

Sump 007.jpg

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fifth chamber

Sump 008.jpg

Thoughts?

Notice its just foam board and tape. Its cheaper to make changes now before i have my glass baffles cut. So if anyone sees a possible issue please let me know now. Thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    Just a few thoughts;
    -There looks like there is a big drop between the third and forth chambers. That will give you a little bit of a water fall noise. I thought I would mention that just in case you do not like that
    -maybe combined the first and second chambers with egg crate along the top of the chamber so you can place filter floss on the top (for mechanical filtration) and have you bio media below. This way you will not need the filter sock and it will make the set-up a little simpler
    - have you heaters in the second chamber leaving room for chemical filtration, should you need it latter on
    - this would also allow you to make a slightly larger return pump camber which will help you deal with evaporation better
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Wow! Cliff your fast. lol

I was thinking that since i was planning a planted tank that the filter sock would make for quicker cleaning. aka dead plant leaves and such would get stopped there. Pull the sock out empty it.

Then the second chamber i was thinking a shelved type of system. Say three shelves made of eggcrate with sponge type mechanical filters. with space in between them for adding chemical filtration if i decided to use it.

The drop between the third and fourth chambers i was thinking a drip plate with pot scrubbers below held up by egg crate. Then ceramic media below that.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think i mentioned i may be over thinking things a bit. Probably why the sump seems so busy. Over complicated a bit.

Concerning the whole drip plate. Does it reduce my flow rate? My thought (could be totally wrong here) is the tank is draining through a one inch hole. So a drip plate say with 16 1/16 inch holes should be capable of producing the same flow rate.??? That is my thought but once again could be totally wrong.

How does the size of the return compartment affect evaporation? It may have been answered in one of the links you provided before but i must have missed it.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by A Railgun View Post
    Concerning the whole drip plate. Does it reduce my flow rate?
    Yes, but if you control the flow of the return pump to match, no worries. Just a minor adjustment or two once it is all set-up

My thought (could be totally wrong here) is the tank is draining through a one inch hole. So a drip plate say with 16 1/16 inch holes should be capable of producing the same flow rate.??? That is my thought but once again could be totally wrong.
    That sounds about right. You'll just have to try it and add a few extra holes if needed.

How does the size of the return compartment affect evaporation? It may have been answered in one of the links you provided before but i must have missed it.
    The return pump has nothing to do with evaporation. The fact is that as water evaporates, the last/lowest chamber in your sump will have the water level lowered by it. If you make that compartment larger, you will have to top it up less often making things easier for you.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    You could even make a sump as simple as this: