· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Filters Sufficient?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi All!

So I bought a tank all inclusive (filters, etc.) and I want to just make sure if what I have is enough.

Tank size: 500 Litre (1400mm x 600mm x 600mm)
    Filter 1: Aqua H2O ACF 1000 (I can't find info on it, so I am not sure what capacity it runs at)
    Filter 2: Internal filter - Sunsun 1400L/Hr Internal Bio Filter HN-450

I have another of the "Filter 2", but it is not installed in the cycle. Should I install it or is it fine without? I need to know this before I start building a background.

Currently I have no fish in the tank. Just water and running filters to prevent the bacteria from dying. I am waiting for a few things before I can set up the tank completely.
    Not 100% sure what fish I will put in either, but leaning towards South American cichlids. Plants and decor will follow habitat requirements of the fish.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am not familiar with those filters so hopefully someone is and will answer.

But you said you have no fish and only water and are running the filters to prevent bacteria from dying. Without something feeding the bacteria, it will die regardless of whether the filters are running or not. So unless there's something else in there tank you haven't mentioned, you will have to start from scratch when it comes to cycling.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fishmommy... You break my heart... Are you serious? So I added 500 litres of water for nothing? In a country that is mostly desert? Crap... Oh well, I guess I have to learn somehow! So I am back at step no 1. It's been running like that for 2 weeks now. Uninformed little old me thought that if I let the bacteria dry out it will die. I never though about feeding it. If you think I can still salvage it, tell me please? Otherwise I will start reading up on properly cycling my tank from the start.

This is the closest I could get to info on Filter 1:
    http://www.junkmail.co.za/pets-for-s...-canis-4612910

And Filter 2:
    http://www.dhgate.com/sunsun-1400l-h...5c37a5a9d.html

If anyone knows anything about these filters, please feel free to let me know!

Thank you!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Karin View Post
    Fishmommy... You break my heart... Are you serious? So I added 500 litres of water for nothing? In a country that is mostly desert? Crap... Oh well, I guess I have to learn somehow! So I am back at step no 1. It's been running like that for 2 weeks now. Uninformed little old me thought that if I let the bacteria dry out it will die. I never though about feeding it. If you think I can still salvage it, tell me please? Otherwise I will start reading up on properly cycling my tank from the start.
    Sorry I was the barer of bad news. If you have an API liquid master test kit you can test your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates but I'm guessing you'll come up with zilch on all counts. If it had been 24 - 48 hours without fish or without feeding ammonia, then you might have saved the BB if there was a colony established in your filters.
    Sorry.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    Sorry I was the barer of bad news.
    Please don't apologize! You only saved me from thinking I have a happy ready tank and loosing all my fish that way! I thank you wholeheartedly for being my fishy-protector! If that interferes with my patience, then too bad, I just need to grow some more...

Q: If I relocate my existing 60l tank fish with that tank's filter media and plants and everything to the 500l tank, would that work? They will probably get lost in there, but at least I can start the cycle with filter media sufficient for their waste. They are 6 x Rummy Noses, 6 x Cardinals and 3 x Kuhli loaches. Would that be a bad idea?

0 Not allowed!
    Sure - you can transfer everything from the smaller tank to the bigger one as long as your parameters on the other tank show it's cycled (0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites, 20ppm or less nitrates) - that way the bigger filter will be able to grow it's own bacteria from the fish's ammonia.

Alternatively you can put some media from the existing filter into the other filter and add ammonia to the bigger tank to cycle it without fish.

There are many people out there who think that just running a tank will cycle it - as you have learned from fishmommie, a source of ammonia is needed to do that. How long has your other tank been up and running?
    Last edited by imma24; 05-29-2013 at 01:59 PM.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    Sure - you can transfer everything from the smaller tank to the bigger one as long as your parameters on the other tank show it's cycled (0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites, 20ppm or less nitrates)
    As mentioned in another thread, I am flying blind. I have no way of testing my water parameters, and I am really struggling to get test kits. According to what Fishmommie said, I will treat the big tank as a new, uncycled tank.

I tried to find ammonia today, but with no luck. In all honesty I didn't search extensively, so I might still find some. If I do not, however, I will have no choice but to cycle with fish. If I put my fish in now, I will not know what I am putting them into, but I am hoping that the volume of water, and the fact that I am putting my existing filter material in with it, might be sufficient to prevent my fishies from struggling. I don't like stressing animals, no matter even if I can replace them all for free. At this moment I am just not seeing much of a choice. All I can think is to keep a very close eye on them. I have read that rummy noses lose their colour when under stress, but I have found that they need to litterally be lying on their sides on the bottom of the tank before they lose significant enough colour to be noticeable...