· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding airstone

1. Default Adding airstone

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,
    I was thinking of adding an air stone to my 180 litre goldfish tank. The tank is filtered by a fluval 405 so I wanted to create some additional airflow on the opposite site of the tank from the filter output.

I was looking at the usual air filter and airstone setup but I saw a power head similar to the one below in a friends marine tank and wondered if I could use this in my tank?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wave-Maker...item3cd1b4ad47

Thanks in advanced for any help given.

Thanks,
    Brian.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    After doing some research this would create too strong a current for my goldfish so I will not be getting the wave maker.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea, you don't need a wavemaker.

Airstones are just for decoration or if you need to up your O2 in the tank.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Also, those power heads with suction cups suck. The suction cup lets go and causes all kinds of chaos in your tank while your at work.

Go with a Whisper type air pump and a 6 inch air stone. Way safer and it will give you the surface agitation your looking for.

Extra agitation is a good thing and it looks really nice too.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    You would be best off with an air stone or "air wall" driven by an external air pump. Gold fish do particularly well with extra aeration in the water. In fact, I highly recommend it to anyone with goldfish.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

0 Not allowed!
    And depending on where the tank is set up, it might be better to get a small pump aimed at the surface for additional aeration. The current created is small or can be redirected. The thing with air pumps is that while all claim to be quiet, I have never encountered one that did not produce such a loud hum as to be noticeable anywhere in the room with the tank. Maybe it's just me, but I would prefer water over air pump anytime.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the replies. The reason I want the airstone is to add extra aeration in the water. All of the airpumps I have looked at say they need to be setup above the water line but ideally I want to have it in my cabinet below the tank.
    Can anyone see a problem with this? I will have a no return value on it.

Thanks,
    Brian.

0 Not allowed!
    You can place a one-way valve on the air line to prevent water from ever draining back into the pump (an then on to the floor). That way you can place your air pump below in the cabinate

You can get then at almost any LFS that sells air pumps. Usally it is kept with the air lines
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    if you are setting up the pump below the tank, you have to have a return valve.
    if the power goes out, water will drain into your pump and fry it.
    its like a 2 dollar part that gives you peace of mind and saves your 30dollar pump set up.

0 Not allowed!
    Yup, I agree, a return valve is cheap, and allows you to place the pump wherever you want without fear of drain back if there is a loss of power. I have the check valves on all my pumps.

Also to get rid of the annoying hum, I use a non slip kitchen mat, the kind chefs use under cutting boards to keep them from slipping on the counter. Its a rubber mat, just cut a piece off to go under where you rest the pump. It silences vibration noise.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.