· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by atsbill123 View Post
    So I should not clean the gravel or touch the filter? Exactly, Please reread the very first sentence of the quote you just posted

Also how often should I do water changed right now and how do I even do them properly?

From the same quote;
    "If you cycle with fish, it must be with extreme caution, daily testing of the water and doing many water changes to make sure the ammonia never climbs over .25-.50 maximum. (Some fish can not ttolerate even this level.) This is why test kits are vital so you know what the toxic level is in your tank. Bacteria does NOT grow in the water so do as many water changes as necessary. " So... Test daily and WC as needed to maintain your levels correctly.

I have read about changing water a lot though. I have a tube that should be here tomorrow. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 says for cleaning gravel but I can also use it just to take water out I would think?
    Absolutely
    I know I have to have the new water at the same temp as in the tank but not sure how to do this since I only have the one heater in the tank? You do it by feel, If it feels pretty close to the same temp.. It is.
    I thought I was supposed to prepare the water before I put in the new water and let it sit a day?
    You do not have to let the water sit. That is old school info from the days gone by when communitiy water supplies used chlorine [Which evaporates & is why people USED to let water sit], Chloramine [Which does not evaporate/gas off] is the standard now but it IS deadly to BB which is why dechlorinator is always used.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What dechlorinator do you all recommend. I am suspect of the one that came with my kit because the coupons in it expired in 2011. So it must be old. I think I may feel better buying a fresh package of it.
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

0 Not allowed!
    Prime from Seachem.

Seachem_Prime_500_ml.jpg
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 05-27-2013 at 02:09 AM.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What can I use to measure this stuff out. Because even if I do a 50% water change it will only be 7 gallons. This says "Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 gallons*) of new water. This removes approximately 1 mg/L ammonia, 4 mg/L chloramine, or 5 mg/L chlorine. For smaller doses, please note each cap thread is approx. 1 mL. May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. Sulfur odor is normal. For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. To detoxify nitrite in an emergency, up to 5 times normal dose may be used. If temperature is > 30 °C (86 °F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose.
    "

The reviews on this stuff are great and would like to use it but I am afraid of using too much by accident. Any recommendations how to measure it out for really small amount of of water?
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How about API Stress Coat Water Conditioner? http://www.amazon.com/Stress-Coat-Wa...pr_product_top

6. Default How about API Stress Coat Water Conditioner

0 Not allowed!
    How about API Stress Coat Water Conditioner? http://www.amazon.com/Stress-Coat-Wa...pr_product_top

I am looking for water conditioner. A very helpful person suggested another one but I am afraid it is too concentrated for my small tank.

Is this ok for a 14 gallon one fish tank?

Default Straight in is fine

0 Not allowed!
    One thing: You add dechlor equal to the total volume of the tank - NOT just the amount you replace.

Other than that it's simple math [You posted the directions & how to measure smaller amounts is explicitly stated in the 5th sentence of your post. You will save yourself a LOT of typing if you read these things 15 times first if that's what it takes ]

Add enough to dose for 20G and you will be fine.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 05-27-2013 at 03:23 AM.

Awards Showcase

It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 
    TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    I use a medicinal syringe, that you can get at most pharmacies..usually used for dosing small amounts of liquid children's medicine...iincrements are in milliliters, which is good for me, because I have a ten gallon tank, which uses 1 milliter of Prime....That Prime is good stuff, it does much more than de-chlorinate, and is very economical...

It is hard to use too much of it, if you follow thw directions about the cap thread = 1 ml ratio...a little extra won't hurt...if using a siphon, like the one you ordered, use enough Prime to treat the entire tank, not just what you remove during water changes....for 14 gallons, that would be about 1.5 ml...
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    I had issues with it personally. It caused a white film to coat my tank, and it also gave me false ammonia readings.

I know others who like it though. Perhaps it has to do with water chemistry.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

Awards Showcase

It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 
    TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by atsbill123 View Post

Never used it, don't know...The only thing I've used is Prime, and it's been all I've needed
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal