· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    Please remind me again - size of tank and what is your current ammonia reading? We are still waiting for nitrites to register and ammonia to drop?

I have a 15 gallon tank. My current ammonia reading is about 4 ppm and this is after a long time. I started with about this much I believe. I just tested today 7/27
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

0 Not allowed!
    Personally, I think you should lower your ammonia reading to no more than 2ppm - from everything I've read here, you are only trying to grow enough bacteria for the room you have in the filter - a 15 gallon tank won't be housing that many fish and hence, not that much ammonia production.

I've generally seen 4ppm being recommended for much larger tanks that need to grow substantially more bacteria.

I would do several water changes, testing after each one (like 50% at a time) until the ammonia is down to 2ppm...then see if that amount of ammonia starts going down by itself due to bacterial growth.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by atsbill123 View Post
    Yes thank you. I plan to get at least a 30 gallon tank before too long. I was steered wrong by the fish store person so I realize I will have to eat the cost of the tank I already bought. People on this forum said they would help with the transition to the new tank. I am totally new to this and figured the fish store would steer me in the right direction. Instead they totally messed me up from the start.
    No need to feel like the 14 gal was a waste. I am 100% sure once you put all of this effort in, learn so many new things, and become a successful aquarist that you will find some other project you can use the 14 gal for, like planting or small salt water tank for some real beauties. If you are like many of us you are only going to want to get more stuff rather than less (LOL)
    When I first started fishkeeping I thought It was ridiculous to get a huge cabinet stand for a tank. Now I think I need an extra cabinet for all the fish junk I am acquiring.

Q: So how are things now... Tank all stable?

Mine has been a rough ride too, however I am finally to where my nitrates register stronger than my nitrites, my ammonia reads low and nitrite levels dropping every day. That thing about not touching the filter is a huge one. My filter started bogging down though and I pulled the carbon filter and the bio wheel out, set them aside, gave the filter housing a good thourough spraying in the showerhead pulling out the impeller for thorough cleaning, and put everything back together (dirty filter in clean housing) and it really helped get rid of those extra toxins while keeping my beneficial bacteria. Two days in and I have had no spikes with Nitrites or Ammonia. This was about 90 days into working at my tank cycle so I was already at the brink.
    Active Learning Consists of Engaging With Educated People, Being O.K. With Being Incorrect, Engaging in Conversation No Matter What Your Experience Level, Accepting Positive Criticisms, Offering Your Best Information, And Maintaining A Healthy Attitude. If you Are Not Speaking You Are Only Learning At Half Mast. No One Can Give Feedback On Your Thoughts, Only On Your Words And Actions.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know if you have gotten this far, but if you ever do anything with your carbon filter (when it seems clogged) never change it out for a new one and never rinse in tap water. Always dip a bucket of tank water from the tank and rinse the Filter in the bucket of tank water with your hand. Discard tank water in sink or outside. I just learned that one last week. It's a lifesaver.
    Active Learning Consists of Engaging With Educated People, Being O.K. With Being Incorrect, Engaging in Conversation No Matter What Your Experience Level, Accepting Positive Criticisms, Offering Your Best Information, And Maintaining A Healthy Attitude. If you Are Not Speaking You Are Only Learning At Half Mast. No One Can Give Feedback On Your Thoughts, Only On Your Words And Actions.

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    What is the pH of the tank water? You started out with 2ppm ammonia and now it is at 4ppm, you aren't adding ammonia right?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In the last hour I have read this entire thread up until this point and feel as if I'm reading a novel. I can't wait for the plot to thicken once your tank is fully cycled and we can start talking about your fish.

Thank you for sharing your experience with cycling in such great detail with us! I'm loving this play by play!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    What is the pH of the tank water? You started out with 2ppm ammonia and now it is at 4ppm, you aren't adding ammonia right?
    No I haven't added anymore. I just started with too much.
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vegeta1059 View Post
    In the last hour I have read this entire thread up until this point and feel as if I'm reading a novel. I can't wait for the plot to thicken once your tank is fully cycled and we can start talking about your fish.

Thank you for sharing your experience with cycling in such great detail with us! I'm loving this play by play!

Yeah I can't wait to get fish.

I think I am going to take the advice to change some of the water out to lower the ammonia level since I started with too much to begin with.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This is what happened to me. I have a 10 gallon and started out with to much Amm. Took it down to 2ppm, turned heater up to 82 and a month later, BAM! A cycled tank.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had taken out about half the water and refilled it. I let it sit for a few days. I just checked for ammonia and I think it is zero now! What do I do next!?!?!?!
    Last edited by atsbill123; 08-13-2013 at 02:10 AM.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast