· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey! So glad to see some replies here. I was starting to get lonely lol

Yeah I just tested again and it is still about the same. I am being patient and at the same time excited about getting a fish or fishes.

Do you all think it would be a good idea to get an airstone? I am not even sure what they are exactly.

The water is currently 79 degrees, so it would be ok to turn it up a little or should I just leave it?

Thanks so much you all, great community here.
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

Awards Showcase

BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 
    6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady 
    Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 
    Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Your patience will pay off, you're getting there....all an air stone does is make bubbles in the water, providing extra oxygen...some people use them some people don't...your filtration system may provide enough oxygenation on it's own, but an air stone won't hurt...all you need is an air pump, some tubing, and the stone itself, which is basically a porous "rock" that provides the bubbles

Some decorative ornaments provide the bubbles, too, in place of or with an air stone
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by atsbill123 View Post
    Hey! So glad to see some replies here. I was starting to get lonely lol

Yeah I just tested again and it is still about the same. I am being patient and at the same time excited about getting a fish or fishes.

Do you all think it would be a good idea to get an airstone? I am not even sure what they are exactly.

The water is currently 79 degrees, so it would be ok to turn it up a little or should I just leave it?

Thanks so much you all, great community here.
    Turning up the temp to the low 80's will help because bacteria grow faster that way - just think of why we aren't supposed to leave certain foods out of the frig!

Slaphappy has described airstones to you - I used to use one in my tank - my fish enjoyed playing in the bubbles - until my newest filter (a HOB) provided enough circulation so I eliminated it & they dont' seem to miss it - airstones themselves come in many different shapes & sizes, airline tubing is cheap & you should get an airpump rated for the right size of your tank - but that's only if you decide to get one.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 
    6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady 
    Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 
    Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    ^^ +1 to imma24, sorry I missed the question on temperature

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    just tested for ammonia again and no change really from last time. I turned up the temp some and going to check it shortly.
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

0 Not allowed!
    Please keep in mind that once the ammonia drops to 0, you will be well on your way. It really would have taken a lot longer with a fish in the tank because you can't allow the ammonia to spike like this to "jumpstart" bacterial growth. Every tank is different...so have patience!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    It really would have taken a lot longer with a fish in the tank because you can't allow the ammonia to spike like this to "jumpstart" bacterial growth.
    imma24 is correct.... if I'm reading the dates correctly, you've only been working on your fishless cycle for about 2 weeks...my cycle WITH fish took nearly 5 weeks!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks. I really wish I could get the fish now but I realize I have to do this first. Thanks for all the help and will report back after my next test. I have raised the temp but I think it actually got colder, this heater is really frustrating to work with. It seems to be broken or something the thing that sets the temp.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by atsbill123 View Post
    Thanks. I really wish I could get the fish now but I realize I have to do this first. Thanks for all the help and will report back after my next test. I have raised the temp but I think it actually got colder, this heater is really frustrating to work with. It seems to be broken or something the thing that sets the temp.
    What kind of heater and thermometer do you have?...raising the temp is a gradual process, it takes time....you SLOWLY raise the temp over time, a degree or two at a time

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    There are no fish in the tank, he can raise the temperature as fast as he wants.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast