· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default my filter is clogged what do I do?

0 Not allowed!
    The filter seems to be getting pretty clogged up. I was told I don't put in a new one so what do I do?!?!?
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

0 Not allowed!
    Clean it with tank water.....

What do you mean put in a new one? Do you mean filter media (like bio media, carbon, etc)?
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I bought a box of twelve filters a while back, they are all new. They are these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I should not put in a new one of those?

Also if I clean it with tank water how do I do it exactly?
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

4. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Take old tank water and put into a fish bucket. Take filter cartridge and swish it around in the bucket to loosen the gunk buildup. You can also use your hand to wipe the gunk off in the bucket of water.

Repalce filter cartridge when the white pieces fall apart.

How many filters do you have on your tank? If you have 2, alternate between the 2. If not, I would get another filter.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by atsbill123 View Post
    I bought a box of twelve filters a while back, they are all new. They are these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I should not put in a new one of those?

Also if I clean it with tank water how do I do it exactly?
    Let's try not to confuse "filters" with "cartridges" ok? Your cartridges are just media that go in your filter.

You bought new media (cartridges) for your filter. There is carbon in those cartridges. In my opinion this is unnecessary unless you are trying to remove medication from the tank. There is no need to use carbon in the filter. Ideally you should have a combination of mechanical (filter wool, sponges) filtration media and biological (ceramic or plastic rings/balls) filtration media. Is there room in your filter box/space for a sponge and some biological balls or rings?

Mechanical filtration traps particles in the water. Biological filtration converts harmful waste products into unharmful products (ammonia->nitrite->nitrate).
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ~firefly~ View Post
    Let's try not to confuse "filters" with "cartridges" ok? Your cartridges are just media that go in your filter.

You bought new media (cartridges) for your filter. There is carbon in those cartridges. In my opinion this is unnecessary unless you are trying to remove medication from the tank. There is no need to use carbon in the filter. Ideally you should have a combination of mechanical (filter wool, sponges) filtration media and biological (ceramic or plastic rings/balls) filtration media. Is there room in your filter box/space for a sponge and some biological balls or rings?

Mechanical filtration traps particles in the water. Biological filtration converts harmful waste products into unharmful products (ammonia->nitrite->nitrate).
    To build on this, it's your mechanical filtration that is most likely clogged (your filter cartridge with the floss and carbon) Leaving the carbon doesn't hurt but it's not doing anything for you either. Take the cartridge out of the filter (as has been suggested) and swish it in some water you've recently removed from the tank - a good time to do that is when you're making a water change. remove as much of the goo as possible but do it gently so as not to disturb any BB that has established there, and put it back in the filter. All done.
    As has been said, do not replace this media with the new cartridges until you absolutely have to - could be a year or more or when it's literally falling a part. Keep the new cartridges on hand in the event that happens.
    makes sense?

BTW - your tank hasn't really been running long enough, if I remember right, to have a LOT of sludge built up in the filter cartridge. It makes me wonder if you might be overfeeding a bit. Left over food will drift to the bottom or float in the water and end up in the mechanical filter (your cartridge) You might want to consider how much you're feeding and see if you can cut back.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm for sure not overfeeding since I have no fish :)