· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default I wish I found this forum before I started

0 Not allowed!
    I just found this forum today after searching the internet like mad. I did not realize that pet stores would not help me or steer me wrong. I walked in asking about starting a tank and said I know nothing. He picked out a tank for me and told me to buy some gravel and decorations so I did and went home and set up the tank. He also told me to run the tank for a couple days and come back for fish. I picked the one I thought was cute. He told me that was fine but I should only have that one fish. I later find out this fish requires a 30 gallon tank after researching online. I only have a 14 gallon. I already sunk about $200 into the whole setup including the fish. I also found out the food the guy told me to buy was wrong after talking to another person at the store. So I returned that food and bought what I was told to buy. These were pellets and my fish would put one in his mouth then spit it out. I don't think he ate for the first 34 hours I had him. I ran to the store getting there right before they closed today to try flakes. I did do some reading online to find out what I should buy for my fish. Luckily they had what I needed. I ran home and thank God my fish gobbled these up. I was so relieved that my fish was eating now. Also earlier today when I got up my fish was just sitting in the corner doing nothing. I called the fish store and was told to bring a water sample. Luckily I knew enough from reading the directions on my tank setup sheet to add stuff to the water to neutralize the chlorine and make the water safe for the fish. But I knew nothing about ph, and still don't understand it very well. But anyhow they checked my water at the fish store and said the ph level was pretty far off so I bought some packets of powder that were supposed to fix this. I added it to the water and after this the fish did start to move around and since has not just sat in the corner. I have read on here that my pet store is the worse place to get this checked? But surely better than nothing? This has been an extremely stressful 2 days and I am sure even more so for the fish. I care about this fish very much believe it or not and do not wish to return it, as selfish as that may be. I just want to do the right thing. I actually cannot afford to buy a bigger fish tank for a little while. I have to pay the bill for all I bought recently. But I am more than willing to upgrade my tank in a few months. The fish is very small right now but read he can get 5-10 inches overall. Also I did not know there were sorts of fish that are controversial, I never even imagined such a thing. But my fish is one of these types of fish, it is a hybrid? A Blood Parrot I think it is called? I hope it is not dyed. I bought it at petco. I just picked the fish that looked like "Barney". A fish name I already had picked out.

I guess this is sort of an introduction and a plea for help.

Default I plea for paragraphs :-P

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum and please.. Calm down.. this is supposed to be relaxing. .

You do not have any issues that some research and the discipline to do what is best for the fish can't solve.

The fish are absolutely perfectly fine not eating even if they didn't eat for a few days - You have bigger issues to deal with [see cycling below].

What IS an issue though is that you should get a good start reading the red stickies in the beginners forum, You will find them very helpful.

You currently have a fish in an uncycled tank so start immediately with the 'Cycling with fish' sticky and make your next purchase an API master freshwater test kit because there is MUCH testing in your immediate future.

A quick question: What was your pH? I am betting you do not need to mess with it - a STABLE environment is better for your fish rather than one that has constant flux as THIS stresses fish.

IMO, You will need to either upgrade your tank or return your fish [& replace it with suitable ones] as you will not find much support here for stock that isn't appropriate for your tank.

If you have more questions just start a thread in the appropriate forum.

Good luck
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah I am super stressed. I do not know what the ph was when the store person tested it. I was just old it was supposed to be around 70 (I think that is what he said).

Also my girlfriend will never get over it if something happens to this fish anytime soon. She was crying today just because it would not eat. I was worried as well.

I read a whole beginners guide I found linked on this site tonight and that is making me even more stressed.

I ordered the exact kit you mentioned from Amazon.com with 2 day shipping.

I am really worried about my fish.

Sorry for the one big block of text but that was sort of a release for me, even if no one read it I needed to get that out.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I thinking I should return this fish and get fish more for the size of the aquarium I already have. I read that you need a 30 gallon tank for this one fish and mine is only 14 gallons. The last thing I want to do is be cruel to this fish. My girlfriend will seriously never forgive me for returning it though.
    Just why was I told that the fish would be ok In my tank if I only got one. If there is any chance I could keep the fish I would like to but if it is cruel I am willing to return it. I am not even going to ask for my money back and not even sure they will give it anyhow. but they will take it back right?

I just really wish I knew more before I started but it honestly never crossed my mind that the fish store would lead me wrong. I felt like I was doing the right thing even going there first and talking to someone before I started.

edit: I decided after just talking to my girlfriend that I am willing to eat the cost of this tank and buy a 30 gallon tank. Now I need help with the transferring over to a new tank. I have room for both tanks since I will need to prepare the new tank first right?

REALLY appreciate any help and I promise I will donate money to this forum once I get all this stuff paid off. I do not make a lot of money and this is really going to be tough and going to have to do a lot of work to pay for these things.
    Last edited by atsbill123; 05-26-2013 at 09:14 AM.
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    take a deep breath first and welcome too ac. You will get good advice here, believe or not most of us did the some thing at one point, but you are on the right track. If you want to keep the fish cycle that tank with a fish in cycle, do regular water changes, feed every second day and get the new tank and set it up and do a fishless cycle with it, which should take about a month and do some more research as well, get something like seechem prime or equivelint as well. a good heater and filter, youll do fine
    we are all on a journey.
    Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today.

0 Not allowed!
    Until you get your test kit, I would suggest daily water changes of around 50% to help make sure the water is safe for your fish. Don't forget to use dechlorinater and make sure the replacement water is close to the same temp as your tank water. There is a link below in my sig to a cycling with fish thread here that does help to explain what you will need to do once you get your test kit

That will be a short term fix while you look into and research what would be the best long term solution to your current situation.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Blood parrots... those are BIG fish. But do we know that's actually the fish here? @atsbill: any chance of a picture?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi and welcome. You're off to a rough start but you've gotten good advice.

First - if you do have a blood parrot, yes, it absolutely needs a bigger tank as it will grow. If you are determined to keep it, do as has been suggested and make daily 50% water changes until you get the current filter cycled (read the stickies and get back to us with questions). the fish is not going to grow that large over night so you can relax about needed to purchase a bigger tank TOMORROW. BUT you do need a larger tank. Here's the other thing - blood parrots are happiest in family units. I have 3 of them myself. So IF you keep the BP and you purchase a larger tank, I would highly recommend getting a 55 gallon so you can add 2 more blood parrots for the little guy so he has some pals. I know. You were planning on a 30 but frankly if you're determined to keep this fish (I certainly understand their likability) you should plan to add, again, a minimum of 2 more which required the 55 gallon tank.

I'll suggest one other thing (as has been suggested already) If you can get yourself to part with the fish, since you've already got a sum of money wrapped up in your set up, go ahead and cycle your tank fishless (again - ready the stickie and then ask questions) and start out with some fish that are more suitable to your current tank. Learn with this tank - which can be very nice with the right fish and THEN, if you want a bigger tank later, you will have the experience you need to set it up properly and get those blood parrots if you want them. There is always another day.

Either way, good luck. Try to relax and know that water changes are your fish's best friend right now. And don't hesitate to ask questions.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 05-26-2013 at 04:47 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    + 1 to everybody that suggested you calm down, take a deep breath and relax. We all did something in the begining that we wish we had done different. When I first started all we had was the LFS to guide us and looking back I shudder at some of the things they told us. The internet with sites like this have been a great help the last few years but somethings you still have to learn through trial and erorr.

Listen to the advice given and remember as others have already said; it's supposed to be fun and relaxing.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

Awards Showcase

hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 No Message - Fishhook A Birthday Bunny. - gadget228 Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by atsbill123 View Post
    Yeah I am super stressed. I do not know what the ph was when the store person tested it. I was just old it was supposed to be around 70 (I think that is what he said).
    PH is not the giant stressor of a deal that you are thinking it is.

Its a scale of how acidic or basic a liquid is. It only goes from 0 to 14. The 7.0 at the middle is neutral.

The lower end of the scale is more acidic. Think Coffee -> Orange Juice -> Stomach Acid -> Battery Acid kind of sliding scale. Some fish will like having slightly more acidic water, someplace less than 7.0, but not down in the 5.0 or lower end. For cycling, some people have issues with getting a good cycle if it is less than 5.0.

The higher end of the scale is more basic (this is the opposite end of acids and why when you mix vinegar and baking soda you get fizzes and volcano experiments) Think baking soda/toothpaste -> Ammonia -> Bleach -> Drain Cleaners. Some fish prefer higher PH levels up to about an 8.2 type range.

For yourself, its good to know what your PH generally is (and it will fluctuate at times) but there isn't a need to turn your tank into a cauldron of chemicals trying to aim for some ideal number. Most fish are pretty adaptable. You should ask your fish place what their ph is. And if it is significantly different then you need to have a bit more care with introducing your fish (acclimation). Think of it like Brushing your teeth (toothpaste level) and then drinking OJ. If you do that back to back it is not a pleasant experience, but if you let some time go by the saliva in your mouth dilutes out the high PH from the toothpaste, so when you swig your OJ its just fine. Since fish are much smaller creatures, the Toothpaste to immediate OJ level environs is a bigger impact, and in that case you need to have more care. But if its more a case of Coffee level to Water level... that's not so drastic.

Hang in there! And don't fear going used if you need to save some currency!