· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default turtle pond - need help

0 Not allowed!
    Last year, my 10 year old son and I built a 50 gallon (preformed) pond in the backyard for his aquatic turtles. It has a water aerator/filter, and we put some large pieces of flagstone stacked up that they could swim under, and some large river rocks up out of the water for basking. No plants in it. They did great last summer and really seemed to enjoy it. Over the winter, they went back into the aquarium so we could regulate the temperature. This spring (May), we put them back into the pond, and built a fence around it (after 2 turtles were lost when it rained heavy and overflowed.) Also,we had some plants 'water lettuce'(?) plants given to us that we put in the pond, thinking it would be a good place to hide and give shade, and maybe for munching. But soon after going into the pond, 4 of the 8 turtles died. Not all at once, but over several days. I took 2 to the exotic pet vet, who said maybe it was due to the unexpected cold weather in May this year. (We live in South Alabama, by the bay, but temperatures dipped into the 50s.) But after reading the information on this site about turtle ponds, I started to question if maybe it was poisoning from the plants. We are down to 2 turtles, and my son is very attached to them. I'm scared to put them back out in the pond. Should I have the water tested? Any suggestions for best plants to have in the pond? Any advice on caring for turtle pond is welcome!

0 Not allowed!
    8 turtles in a 50 gallon pond? I am no expert with turtles but I think I used to hear that 50 gallons was minimum for one aquatic turtle, as well as that turtles produce lots and lots of waste and require a strong filtration system. The fact that in your original post you seem to confuse an aerator with a filter(two drastically different things generally) suggests that the pond may not be getting sufficient cleaning for the large bioload of 8 turtles.