· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Need clown pleco advice

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 29 gal. aquarium that's about 2 months old. Heavily planted with amazon sword, val, moneywort, and anacharis. Also have hygro. Recently I noticed that the hygro leaves are scraped down to the skeleton of the leaf structure. I suspect the clown pleco.
    I'm wondering if the clown is hungry, or is it normal for him to eat the plants?

I use finely crushed Tetramin for food, and expected the pleco to eat that also. He has a petrified wood log to live under, and likes to clean it at times.

He's a cute fish, and I hate to get rid of him. Any advice to help him coexist with the planted aquarium?

0 Not allowed!
    Have you tried feeding him veggies ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above post. Sliced zucchini or cucumber blanched work well.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Awards Showcase

I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass 
    this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl 
    for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    A clown pleco would appreciate some kind of meaty foods in addition to the veggies. Do you have any other type of driftwood in the tank other than the petrified wood, they need to rasp on driftwood as part of their regular diet as well.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyfly View Post

I use finely crushed Tetramin for food, and expected the pleco to eat that also. He has a petrified wood log to live under, and likes to clean it at times.

He's a cute fish, and I hate to get rid of him. Any advice to help him coexist with the planted aquarium?
    Apart from doing extremely basic research like what does that fish eat that you just bought? No, not really.

Clown pleco is usually a kind of Panaqolus. That's one of the few species of fish that really NEEDS a piece of real wood. Apart from that it's mostly vegetarian. Starving fish like this are capable of scraping your plants. Feed it and it should stop doing that. Take some cucumber, zuccini, yam or egg plant, blanch it for a minute or two, weigh it down with a fork and leave it for 24 hours.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Mopani driftwood and malaysian driftwood would do the pleco well. I suspect that's what mine ate mostly for 10 years before I sold him, even with the algae wafers in the tank. I rarely saw it, maybe once a year.

0 Not allowed!
    I think not. Wood has almost no nutritional content. What these fish tend to eat is what grows on wood. They do use wood like rabbits and horses use hay, as an important source of fiber to keep their bowels moving. And just like these species, a lack of roughage can mean a rather painful and lingering death.

0 Not allowed!
    Give it some veggies and driftwood,not petrified wood, and it should start to leave your plants alone. Feed it veggies after the lights are off for the night, 2 or 3 times a week, then remove in the morning. Other than that, they are very easy to keep. You probably won't see it much. They like to hide, and come out when it is dark.