· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Angelfish community tank and tank mates?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all,

I'm redesigning an aquarium for my dad since all his old fish died off age and he really wants an overhaul with it.
    he had clown loaches angelfish and kardinal tetras in it before with a light mixture gravel, lava stones with javaplants.( so very open and boring)
    the tank is currently cleaned out and rinsed and will be cycled after its filled for a month or 2 before we get the angelfish.
    the tank is 200cm by 80cm by 80cm so thats 1280Liter (correct me if im wrong) not sure what that makes in ft and gallon but i'm sure you can work that out.

He has a wishlist that is very small.
    So far his must have list: 5-6 angelfish and clown loaches.
    Im in love with corys and i heard the loaches and panda corys get along very well, so i want to add the panda corys and perhaps another species off cory?
    Maybe a group off otocinclus or should i go with bristlenose? because off its size it gets alot off light.
    We have had some algea problems in the past so we love species that can help manage it but who wont eat chunks out off the angelfish's sides.

I would love to know how big the groups off cory and loaches and oto's are good for the size off this tank.
    It is a living room centrepiece tank so fish that stress easy are not suitable, also kardinal tetra's got eaten in the past and we've seen those for years so thats not an option.
    i'm told that he wants the tank to be planted with lots off rocks and wood, maybe some caves? and some open space as swim area. so i figured an amazon theme!
    He really wants a colourful lively community tank with a lot too look at for the neighbourhood kids and my little cousin.

So please toss your ideas for tank mates and the size off the groups at me; and if they need some shelter or advice about sand or a dark gravel or a mix if fish prefer it.
    also ideas for plants? i do want a species off vallisneria so suggestions on that or other plants within the theme are very welcome.

0 Not allowed!
    WOW, I would love a 350(ish) gallon tank like that
    Maybe a large school (12+) of congo tetras ?

If you want a planted tank, maybe a mixture of black fluorite and blank sand would work. I think your tank would look great with black substrate, plants, and a good amount of driftwood. The black substrate helps to bring out colors in fish, IMO. That would also be along the lines of the theme you had mentioned as well.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    That's a nice size tank, it works out to 338 US gallons and 6.5ft long by 2.6ft wide and tall. Personally I would go with the clown loaches and skip the corys, but if you wanted both you could easily fit 15 to 20 panda corys and 5-6 clown loaches in with the angels. Keep in mind though the loaches can get huge when properly cared for. I think a nice size group of congo tetra would be neat with the angels too. If your water conditions are right for oto's they would be a nice addition as well, but I always prefer them over bristlenose, so that is not an unbiased opinion.

Ninja'd by Cliff with the congo tetras! They must be a good idea lol.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    You could have a dozen angels(more if you wanted), 6 to 12 clown loaches(more if you wanted) and around 30 or so corydora. I would plant the tank myself. You could have both otos and bristle nose plecos too. You could fit lots of otos in there. You could have a ton of plecos too, but I would not get more than 6 myself. The plecos will probably breed for you in that size of tank if provided some caves. I would get a few large pieces of driftwood.

Plants depend on your lighting. Amazon swords, micro swords, crypts, anubias, java ferns tied to driftwood. I would get a plant substrate. I like eco complete myself. But there are lots out there. Here is a good site to get an idea of plants and the conditions they need to be kept it. You really have a lot of options. http://www.aquariumplants.com/

Other fish could be bosami rainbow, silver dollars, many different tetras, barbs, and rasbora. Dwarf cichlids. Danios. Mollies, platys, guppies. The list for fish in that size of tank is sizeable to say the least.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah those congo tetras are lovely; going to check if we can get them locally. Good idea from the both off you!
    We know the clowns grow to quite a decent size, but our angelfish always got large as well so if they don't get overcrowded its fine.
    the angelfish wont go after the oto's? that's my main concern.. we don't want to have to buy a new group ever other month :D

Kim; i know the list is long that is why i need some help for good suggestions.
    most fish are too small like the guppies; the angels get way too big and just eat them.
    barbs i heard tend to nip the angels fins; so not all sub-species will work for this tank
    silver dollars tend to destroy a planted tank so those might not work.
    Thanks for the weblink; that webbie will help me out for sure :)

for the substrate i think we will go with fine black substrate and a river sand to stick to the theme as suggested :).

Thanks so far and just keep throwing those fishnames at me! colorfull or odd to look at; everything is welcome! its a tank for kids to explore! :D
    Last edited by Midi; 05-29-2013 at 11:32 AM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    black substrate, maybe 3 pairs of angels(different variations), jungle val, sword plants, hairgrass, absolutelyno small fish for bigger fish = snack or guaramis, the tank is a very good size to begin with, i would definitely plant heavily
    we are all on a journey.
    Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Small update;
    The tank is up and running. Plantwise we went all asian since there was a cheap packagedeal available and doesnt it just look fantastic?! http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/7159/bsz0.jpg
    Fishwise;
    There are a bunch of guppys in there endlers and regular mix( gift off neighbours to cycle the tank).
    8 swordtails- 5 regular reds 2 longtailed black/white and black/red and 1 koi coloured.
    3 siamese algae eaters.
    6 columbian tetras.
    3 opalline/ blue gouramis.
    4 otocinclus.
    3 corys. Brown greenish spotted and striped (More coming but different variation)
    1 sewellia

The tank was a little clouded but since the corys, otos and tetra with some extra swords been added it has cleared alot over the weekend. Did a 20-25% waterchange and left the filter alone. Think my dad has been " overcleaning" that gave a bacteria bloom. All values are good and the plants are happy as they all pearl on occasion.
    No angels yet but i have a feeling he will buy them rather sooner than later.
    All the suggestions were very helpfull and on my search for congo tetras i found the columbian ones that i just fell in love with. The picture was made 1-2 days ago and is about 30% more visability than the week before. This morning the tank seems to have cleared even more. enough to see the other end through the sides! Think its going well but turning out alot different than the starting idea.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Beautiful tank! That plants look great I love the dutch style scape. The angels will love that tank, just keep an eye of the gouramis, angels and gouramis have a tendency to not like each other.
    "At some point you aren't making the animal more dead...You are just making a bigger mess." - Demjor19

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Clouding is gone.
    Added 5-6 more corys, 3 marbled botias and 5 female swordtails to balance the groups.
    Still you only see all fish during feeding time, beyond that only a handfull show once in a while. Theyre loving the plants.
    http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/8828/i2zp.jpg