· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Help with a new tank

0 Not allowed!
    So, I have a relatively new tank (about 8 weeks old), and I'm experiencing some fish death. When I first got the tank up and running, I used some of the Dr. Tim's Aquatics bacteria in a bottle to help the tank get cycling, and began stocking. Here are the fish I stocked, in the order I stocked them (all species were introduced separately, roughly a week or two apart):

6 variatus platies (2 males, 4 females)
    8 zebra danios
    6 corydoras elegans
    2 dwarf gourami (both male)
    6 lemon tetras

These are in a 50 gallon aquarium with an AquaClear 110 filter (no carbon filtration). I keep the tank at 78.4 degrees fahrenheit. The tank is heavily planted; I don't use any fertilizer, but I do use Seachem Flourish Excel (a carbon supplement). I'm using conditioned tap water with a pH somewhere between 7.4 and 7.6 according to my API test kit. During the first few weeks of the tanks life, I tested once or twice daily for my cycling parameters, and never saw the ammonia rise above 0.25 ppm or the nitrite rise above 0 ppm. I have high nitrate levels out of the tap; I'll bring that up later in the thread. I do a 40% water change every week.

I feed twice daily, usually a small pinch of flake food and 4 or 5 shrimp pellets. I feed them freeze dried bloodworms about twice a week.

A few weeks ago, one of the corys died. I'm not sure why; all fish seemed healthy and active, then I found him dead, stuck to the filter intake. I gave the tank a couple weeks, during which I tested the water parameters daily (again, never saw any of the water parameters spike). I chalked the death up to random chance and added the lemon tetras about a week ago.

After a couple days, one of the tetras got sick. He swam around the tank in a spiral motion, and eventually ended upside down in the plants, dead. I removed him from the tank, tested water params (nitrite was high, about 5.0 ppm!) and performed a 50% water change, followed by another 50% water change the next day. Finally, earlier today I found a cory dead. I removed him, tested params (nitrite at 0.25 ppm), and did a 50% water change.

The biggest potential problem I can see is that, out of the tap, I have very high nitrate levels. I tested the tap water today and it shows nitrates somewhere between 40 and 80 ppm. Once in the tank, the nitrates drop a bit from the plants, but it's difficult to keep them low even with big weekly water changes. Any advice on what to do? I'm not positive my problem is related to my tap water quality, but it seems possible. I don't think I'm overfeeding, but I'm new at this; they consume the flakes very quickly, usually in about 30 seconds or so, but it takes them a while longer to eat up the shrimp pellets.

0 Not allowed!
    Well one problem you could have in the future is the two drawf gouramis, they will fight.. a lot...

I speak from experience and they probably will kill one another.

You could try a "nitrate hog" of a plant, Hygro Austofolia is one, so is hornwort. There are a few you can try. If you do have nitrates in the tap, don't do large water changes. Stick to 20-30% a week.

Other than the 2 gouramis I think the stock is ok. But i am still nervous about the method in which you cycled (would explain the cory death first)

Most people don't like the instant cycle chemicals... for now my thought would be find an easy plant that sucks up a lot of nitrates (some stem plants do well too)

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardy85 View Post
    Well one problem you could have in the future is the two drawf gouramis, they will fight.. a lot...

I speak from experience and they probably will kill one another.

You could try a "nitrate hog" of a plant, Hygro Austofolia is one, so is hornwort. There are a few you can try. If you do have nitrates in the tap, don't do large water changes. Stick to 20-30% a week.

Other than the 2 gouramis I think the stock is ok. But i am still nervous about the method in which you cycled (would explain the cory death first)

Most people don't like the instant cycle chemicals... for now my thought would be find an easy plant that sucks up a lot of nitrates (some stem plants do well too)
    + to hardy. Those are horribly high nitrates out of your tap. Do you drink the water? EPA standard is no higher than 10ppm for drinking water.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass 
    To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 
    BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 
    6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Do you shake the heck out of the nitrate bottle 2?....and shake the test tube for a minute after mixing?
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I shake the crap out of it.

0 Not allowed!
    in your thread you said you had nitrite of 5 ppm.
    this says you are not cycled.
    a lot of those bacteria in a bottle stuff is only a temorary cycle.
    after a while the bacteria die off unless you keep adding more with your water changes.
    what i would do is return the fish and restart. do a fishless cycle. there is a sticky on the beginer section. in the cycle sub-section.
    good luck