· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 
    Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA 
    It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 Congrats on 2,000 post! - Slaphppy7 Sorry to hear about the loss of your Cat :( - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    The tank water really doesn't hold the beneficial bacteria but adding as much that was in your filter won't hurt. If you can cut out as much of the fiber filter cartridge and stuff it into the new filter that would be the best thing to do since that is where the beneficial bacteria you have been growing resides, in fact you can remove the new carbon filter and use that space also for the older fiber filter cartridge (the carbon really isn't necessary unless removing medication as it breaks down in about two weeks and is useless unless replaced). there's usually some sort of sponge also in the filter. What type of filter is it?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Aqueon Quiet Flow 30. Would putting the old filter in with the new filter help? I don't know if any bacteria were growing or not at the time as all I have in the tank is plants and a water conditioner. I added the bacterial supplement after changing filters.
    1 Tank: 15 gal;???

2 Tank: 40 gal; fish: 2 Bronze Corys. 4 Mollies. 1 Albino Rainbow Shark. 1 Guppies. 2 snails. ? cherry barbs. 1 Betta Male, 2 Otos.

Q-Tank; 1 Molly, 2 Bronze Corys.

0 Not allowed!
    Just be careful with the purchase of fish. That's a small tank and rather than having length, it has height and fish swim back and forth, not up and down. Keep the species of fish small (not danio's because they are fast swimmers) but perhaps only neon tetra's or perhaps some glowlight tetra's. After the tank has cycled, you could add some shrimp if you wanted. You don't want to fall into that trap of half a dozen kinds of fish in a small tank because it simply will not work.

Good luck and enjoy........Cycling links below

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 
    Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA 
    It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 Congrats on 2,000 post! - Slaphppy7 Sorry to hear about the loss of your Cat :( - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to Lady Hobbs response, with her help I was able to correct the "many" mistakes I made when first starting out (adding fish to an uncycled tank). Using both of the filters on your tank is fantastic, you can't have too much filtration and areas to grow the beneficial bacteria required for a healthy tank. Also you would still be able to do a "fishless cycle" as in Lady Hobbs signature, you won't regret it and your future fish will love you for it!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think I already have my fish planned out, purchasing availability aside. Also, an industrial file, some running water, 10 minutes, and voila, the lip that prevented my tank lid from fitting over my filter is now gone and both of them are covered as they should be.

(Aiming for 1 Betta (male), 1 Oto, and some albino cory cats and/or upside down catfish (I originally planned for 2 of each, but size and schooling needs being considered I may just get 3 of one or the other and call it a day. ... The cats will be going in first, with the Betta and Oto being added a week or two later)

I used a bacteria supplement that basically includes bacteria in it, but the store(s) I was shopping at today had no ammonia available to start the cycle in a normal manner.

2 Tank: 40 gal; fish: 2 Bronze Corys. 4 Mollies. 1 Albino Rainbow Shark. 1 Guppies. 2 snails. ? cherry barbs. 1 Betta Male, 2 Otos.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Before adding any fish to your tank make sure you have readings of 0 ammonia/0 nitrites/+10 nitrates. Any type of bottom feeder like corys or otos should be the LAST fish added to the tank as they are the most affected by ammonia/nitrites in the tank

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Erm, in my readings on Betta's it's always said to add them last to a community tank to avoid aggression... My Ammonia is already 0, but I don't know about nitrates or nitrites...

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    ammonia will always be 0 in an uncycled tank that's why it's so important to know what the nitrite and nitrate levels are

0 Not allowed!
    With the upside down cat, make sure it is that. Some are mixed up with the Synodontis Eupterus Catfish (max size 8")

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...94&pcatid=1594

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...83&pcatid=1883

To be honest, I would say just stick with the cories. Look into the habroseus corys (stay very small) and you could do a small school in that tank

You really shouldn't have any issues with putting the betta in first since you aren't adding any other mid-top level swimmers

Wait to add the oto till you start developing algae (they typically are wild caught so they take awhile before they accept anything but real algae and can starve)

This is my thoughts:
    1 Male Betta (first) - only after tank is 100% cycled
    After a week or two
    6 or 7 Cory Habroseus
    After you get a little algae (not the brown algae - that is just diatoms from being a new tank and will go away)
    Add 2-3 otos. You can also feed these guys zucchini or cucumber

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm thinking of completely dropping the upside down cats and instead getting 3/4 albino cory's (according to what I keep finding they get 2-3 inches when full grown so there shouldn't be too much trouble) along with my Oto and my Betta... When I was at Petsmart to get my supplies they said that it wasn't a good idea to keep Oto's together, but I'm reading a lot that says they like to have other Oto's around so I may get 2 of them instead of just one, and keep the Betta around.