· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Assistance Please?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi there guys, I'm new here and to the general keeping of aquariums as well. A couple days ago (read: Thursday the 23 of May), I got a tank and most of the supplies for it. This included three live plants, an Amazon sword that split in two and two other unidentified plants, three tall fake plants, and two hiding caves, as well as a disk bubbler. I did some reading after this and found that live plants dramatically help a tank and so I decided to do away with the fake plants (they did look rather cheap anyways), and buy two more real plants. I also changed the bubbler to something smaller since the tank was too small to accommodate the previous one without just looking like I was boiling something in it. Anyways, after I got back from shopping for supplies and finding a suitable fish store that wasn't Petco or Petsmart to buy my actual fish from I noticed that the tank looked cloudy. I know I didn't help the condition by taking out my fake plants and old under-gravel bubbler and replacing them with my new items (a fern, dwarf hair-grass and a small sea-shell under/overgravel bubbler) because I disturbed the sand I have under the gravel to give the plants a slightly better grip.

Anyways, I was wondering WHY a brand new tank with only plants in it might get cloudy, what I should do about it (I did a 10% water change after I was done messing around with my plants, decorations, and root tabs). I have a week at least until I go to get my fish (starting off with 2 albino cory cats and an oto I think, I know I will be adding 2 upside down catfish and a male betta at a later time once the tank has gotten used to having fish in it) so if it's a slightly time consuming process to fix I don't mind and currently don't have any fish it will upset. I have a submergable heater at the bottom of my tank, a filter that came with the tank and is meant to handle it perfectly well (it was a starter kit), as well as a pH/Ammonia and thermostat scale all rolled together on one side and they all seem to be doing their job just fine.

Yours in keeping, Fluffy

0 Not allowed!
    welcome to the forum fluffy. Few things

-What size tank do you have? (typically the upside cats get too large for most beginners tanks)
    -Read up on Fishless Cycling, you will want to do that first before you think about fish - depending on tank size it does take a little bit (but worth it)
    -What gravel are you using? did you wash it?
    -What sort of light is on the aquarium, some of the plants you listed require a little more than water and light. IE the amazon sword needs root tabs, a tall (ish) tank, and med to high light

Also, the filter that came with it is probably half the size you need it to be (typically if you have a 10g tank you want a filter that can do up to 20g), I personally just upgraded the filtration on my 55 to handle 220g (but that is a bit extreme lol

Welcome to the forum, ask lots of questions, thats what everyone is here for

Awards Showcase

For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 
    6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass 
    Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Hi there guys, I'm new here and to the general keeping of aquariums as well. A couple days ago (read: Thursday the 23 of May), I got a tank and most of the supplies for it. This included three live plants, an Amazon sword that split in two and two other unidentified plants, three tall fake plants, and two hiding caves, as well as a disk bubbler. I did some reading after this and found that live plants dramatically help a tank and so I decided to do away with the fake plants (they did look rather cheap anyways), and buy two more real plants. I also changed the bubbler to something smaller since the tank was too small to accommodate the previous one without just looking like I was boiling something in it. Anyways, after I got back from shopping for supplies and finding a suitable fish store that wasn't Petco or Petsmart to buy my actual fish from I noticed that the tank looked cloudy. I know I didn't help the condition by taking out my fake plants and old under-gravel bubbler and replacing them with my new items (a fern, dwarf hair-grass and a small sea-shell under/overgravel bubbler) because I disturbed the sand I have under the gravel to give the plants a slightly better grip.

Anyways, I was wondering WHY a brand new tank with only plants in it might get cloudy, what I should do about it (I did a 10% water change after I was done messing around with my plants, decorations, and root tabs). I have a week at least until I go to get my fish (starting off with 2 albino cory cats and an oto I think, I know I will be adding 2 upside down catfish and a male betta at a later time once the tank has gotten used to having fish in it) so if it's a slightly time consuming process to fix I don't mind and currently don't have any fish it will upset. I have a submergable heater at the bottom of my tank, a filter that came with the tank and is meant to handle it perfectly well (it was a starter kit), as well as a pH/Ammonia and thermostat scale all rolled together on one side and they all seem to be doing their job just fine.

Yours in keeping, Fluffy
    Please cycle that tank before adding fish, see here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

What size tank is it? Usually "starter kits" come with the bare minimum of things you really need, specifically the filter...most people here will tell you that you need a filter that will handle 2x the amount of tank space you have, so for a 10 gallon tank, for instance, you will need a filter that will handle 20 gallons, at least...

The clouding will go away with proper cycling and filtration, in most cases
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    -What size tank do you have? (typically the upside cats get too large for most beginners tanks)
    -Read up on Fishless Cycling, you will want to do that first before you think about fish - depending on tank size it does take a little bit (but worth it)
    -What gravel are you using? did you wash it?
    -What sort of light is on the aquarium, some of the plants you listed require a little more than water and light. IE the amazon sword needs root tabs, a tall (ish) tank, and med to high light
    It's a 15 gallon column tank with approximately 183.5 square inches of surface on bottom and top.

I will do that, do you (or any one else who responds to this) have suggestions on places to do so?

I am using white Topfin aquarium gravel and I washed it twice. Under it I have white/pale gold Super Naturals sand (total it's about 3 inches of substrate, about half and half each)

the tank came with "a full-spectrum T5 light" although if I can figure out what to use I was going to change the bulb into something a bit stronger. I also just purchased and placed root tabs for the plants throughout the tanks.

I'll try getting a new filter for it tomorrow and see if that helps too though.

0 Not allowed!
    Slaphppy posted the link on how to cycle. What are the dimensions of the tank ?? Is it a rectangle or hex tank?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The tank I have Thanks for all the help you guys are offering.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    The tank I have Thanks for all the help you guys are offering.
    Yes, I think Hardy85 was asking the size (dimensions) of your tank...like mine is a 45 gallon rectangular tank 36"L x 12"W x 25"H.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Mmmkay, 13.6" x 13.8" x 24.8" is the tank, I'm not sure if that's inside or outside, although my guess is outside which leaves some size difference (mostly in height). I also just bought a 30 gallon filter BUT I can't get the lid on both it and the tank because the filter lid has a lip (I'm thinking of filing it off enough that the tank lid can still fit). Right now, even though the new filter is open at the top it's running beautifully and already the tank looks cleaner (it's only been going for about 5 minutes) I also bought Topfin Bacteria Supplement and added 15 ml since it said on the bottle 1 ml per gallon of water... I don't have my tank QUITE full since some water was lost while I was changing the filters and I want to leave room for error for acclimating and adding the fish. Temperature was at 82 (Fahrenheit) roughly, is working its way down to a nice happy 76/77 (again Fahrenheit).

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz 
    Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Have a Rummy nose for oldtimes sake ;-) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Did you transfer all the old media from the previous filter into the new one?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The carbon and fiber filter cartridge wouldn't fit as it was a different type and size of filter (medium to large), but I did dump as much of the water as possible into both the tank and the new filter. I think some was still in the old filter cartridge. I do still have the cartridge if there's a way to combine them.
    1 Tank: 15 gal;???

2 Tank: 40 gal; fish: 2 Bronze Corys. 4 Mollies. 1 Albino Rainbow Shark. 1 Guppies. 2 snails. ? cherry barbs. 1 Betta Male, 2 Otos.

Q-Tank; 1 Molly, 2 Bronze Corys.