· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Filstar Rena Xp3 question

0 Not allowed!
    I've had my xp3 for 2 weeks now and I've got a problem. The first week or so it was running almost silently then started making a humming noise coming from the motor house. I took it apart and cleaned everything after I put it back together the lever to control the flow was stuck in the siphon off position. I took off the part that connects the intake/out take tubes to the canister and it seems to be stuck with something. I've tried to clean it and it appears to be a gum of some sort, no idea how it got there. I've tried to call rena but no response yet... Here's a picture DSC08886_zps10ee7c49.jpg

any idea on what it could be and how to get rid of it?
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    That, my good friend, is the grease to prevent water leaking at the seams. Don't take that stuff off. You can replace it with some aquarium-safe (or food-grade) lubricant/grease, though.

As for re-inserting this piece... you need to push down on it, before you bring the lever back. There's a safety mechanism which prevents it from being pulled into the on-position, before it being in-place in the filter. Easiest way I've found is just pushing down on the two sides w/ one hand and pulling the lever back with the other.

If you find that it's broken, you can replace it for free. Just e-mail them at their support page and they'll hook you up. Great customer service.
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Kevin! I was wondering what that was. I wasn't pushing down on it I'll try again and see if it works. Any ideas on how to reduce the humming noise?
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP

0 Not allowed!
    What kind of humming? Was it an air bubble noise, as if there was a leak somewhere? Does it have a constant noise and then it stops abruptly and restarts again?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's the motor running no other way to describe it. I've tried everything I can think off to get it less noisy. If I can't return it I'm just going to sell it and get an AC70 I'm tired of messing with it and I already know the AquaClear filters.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, if you listen carefully, every canister has a humming noise... some louder than others. Might be yours is functioning correctly. How loud is it? Might be a bad motor or impeller if it's really loud... ya never know, until you start replacing parts.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've emailed rena about the hose connector after I've got a new piece I'll see about a replacement motor. Its louder then then the motor in my ac30 and still noticeable with people talking in the room.

0 Not allowed!
    I absolutely LOVE my XP filters. Is there air in the filter? Try rocking it back and forth - see if that gets the air out. Once they are full they are silent, but I find the noise they make when there is air inside to be quite annoying.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

0 Not allowed!
    I have 3 rena xp3's, they are really quiet. Just hear them humming if I kneel down close to it. Trapped air may be causing the problem like others suggested. Shaking the canister while it's running may help dislodge the air.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I tried multiple times before the top part apparently broke. When I get a replacement or figure the problem out I'll restart it and see if I can get it silent.