· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default How to care for Pleco eggs...

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everyone, new user here and new the aquarium world...

Three months back, my wife and I decided to start a hobby together... This means we now have a 45 gallon tank with several fish.

Break down:

One young bala shark
    2 young clown loaches
    1 adult red tail shark
    2 black velvet angel fish
    1 leopard angel fish
    2 german blue rams
    1 red gold severum
    1 Opaline Gourami
    1 albino pleco and 1 regular pleco - both bushynose

So i was starting to do a water change when i pulled a log out of the water and I noticed the regular pleco would not come out, even more so than usual... So i shook a little and he ended up coming out but so did about 15 orange colored eggs... There are still eggs in the log as well..

I have no idea what to do with this... I put the log back in the water and the pleco has gone back into the log to care for them but the other eggs are just laying on the rocks now... I put a clean clear cup over them to protect them from the other fish...

What do I do?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not much you can do now the male will continue to care for the eggs on the log, you could try to get the eggs on the rocks back to the log but dont be upset if you have no success. Once the eggs hatch and the fry eat their egg sac, they can be removed from the tank, or you can let them take their chances with the rest of your stock. Apparently almond leaves are a good supplement for very young fry

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi and welcome to the AC
    I know your question was about pleco eggs but I thought I'd mention something about your stock. You've got a LOT of fish in a 45 gallon tank. The bala shark alone can grow to 14 inches and should be in a 48 inch long tank, minimum. So you might want to be thinking about what you're going to do with him down the road. Also - your angels may (most likely will) become an issue. They can get up to 6 inches each and they are very territorial. Chances are, two will gang up on the 3rd some day and rip it to shreds. It's just the way they roll. Additionally, once they get rid of the odd wheel, they may turn on each other unless they are a mated pair. Personally, 1 angel in a 45gal tank would be the most I'd try. You're clown loaches should be in a school - they love a family unit of at least 6. Also - these fish get huge and long term, your tank is not going to provide enough room for them. Your red tail shark can grow to 6 inches and should be in a minimum 55 gallon tank. The sev is also going to get large.

Not trying to discourage you, just letting you know that you've got way too many fish stocked in that tank for long term survivability. But hey - you can always get another larger tank, right? Most of us find it's pretty difficult to escape MTS (multiple tank syndrom) once we get bitten by the hobby.

good luck and you might want to google profiles for each of your fish so you can learn more about their care and keep. Hope this information was helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredjamesr View Post
    45 gallon tank with several fish.
    One young bala shark
    2 young clown loaches
    1 adult red tail shark
    2 black velvet angel fish
    1 leopard angel fish
    2 german blue rams
    1 red gold severum
    1 Opaline Gourami
    1 albino pleco and 1 regular pleco - both bushynose
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredjamesr View Post

So i was starting to do a water change when i pulled a log out of the water and I noticed the regular pleco would not come out, even more so than usual... So i shook a little and he ended up coming out but so did about 15 orange colored eggs... There are still eggs in the log as well..

I have no idea what to do with this... I put the log back in the water and the pleco has gone back into the log to care for them but the other eggs are just laying on the rocks now... I put a clean clear cup over them to protect them from the other fish...

What do I do?
    And I take it that question refers to the egg situation and not your stocking?

Might as well syphon them away, these eggs will not hatch now.

0 Not allowed!
    Next time just leave the eggs. The parents will hatch them. The babies will all most likely get eat.

Plus I agree with fishmommie that you may want to re-consider the current stock as many of those fish can become "tank busters" on there own, let alone all together

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You can use a device that is styled after the egg tumbler used for african cichlids that mouth brood. You may try an egg tumbler for african cichlid eggs and fry. I have used them in the past on pleco eggs and they do work. If they lie about for too long without water flow and the oxygen it brings the will pass away. Pleco eggs are harvested by collecting the egg clusters from the males and artificially hatching them. There is a video on you tube out there with a couple of guys diving for them in a river in South Florida.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I managed to get them seperated with the dad to a different tank and since then 9 of them have hatched and are swimming around. Hopefully I can keep them alive.

As for my tank... We fully expect to upgrade our tank in the future. So far everyone in the tank has been getting a lot quite well, but if there are issues in the future we can always adapt.