· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Black ghost knife

0 Not allowed!
    Hey, i just bought me a Black ghost knife fish and i have always wanted one but i though at first it was an asian fish but learned a few month it was an SA and i all about SA and i have a tank large enough for one maybe a bit small for a max size one but most fish won't reach the size they can get but if he do ill sell him to a local aquarium owner that has lots of large tank since he only keeps the largest aquarium fish

I know they can grow to about 20" but i know from personal experience most fish never reach there max size even if they are wild caught, had 2 wild caught angels long ago and they were the smallest angels i had about 4" when they can reach close to 6" but i have a back up plan in case my fish are the one that will become 20".

I do have a few questions though.

When i researched this fish a few month ago i found a few saying they eat the eyes of angels and other large fish that they can't swallow whole but i found more saying it's very rare that they will do that. Today i was bored after i got the fish and thought i would do some more fish reading on all the fish i have and plan to have in both my tanks and i found this time that it was more saying they will eat the eyes of all other fish in the tank and the fins of them, so now i'm a bit scared since i love my angels more then the black ghost and i don't want to hurt my loved angels. So what is the truth about this?

Then i have a question about BN with them i have 2 albino BN that im going to pick up in the future from my uncle as hes holding them since the tanks was down a few month and we didn't have time to try to catch those when i picked up the angels from him. will this work together or will the knife kill the BN's?

I do have a few PVC pipes that i got from a friend to have for caves to the BN's the question are for both BN's and the knife fish i do have one pipe that's about 1.6" in diameter and i wonder if thats to tight for a BGN, i also got several 1.2" in diameter pipes and those was planned for the BN's but they might be to tight for them. If the larger pipe works for the BGN i'm going to put it in the tank tomorrow so the BGN gets the larger pipe for him and the Bn's can get the small ones if they work for them.

I don't want to have any replies telling me BGN needs large tanks i know this all i want to know is about these questions. The BGN will be able to get it's own space in this tank so it won't get attacked or need to attack for it's space, Just want to know if it will attack because it's an asshole.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm sorry to say, but you'll get comments saying he needs a big tank...and here is why:

the fish will get big and aggressive
    the aggression starts day 1 because that is in their genes
    as the fish grows, it needs more and more space and recognizes that he/she is big and strong enough to take that space.

The issue is something that correlated to the tank size.

you don't have much time before that BGK destroys everything in your tank...

0 Not allowed!
    BGK are really not aggressive, but they are predators. They will grow to around a foot. They will actually do fine in a 75 gallon, if they are kept alone. If you want to keep other fish with them, a 125 would be about the smallest you would want. You will need to keep medium to large fish with them. Nothing too small or they will eat it. You also don't want to keep overly aggressive fish with it. The BGN will get picked on. Angels, eartheaters,discus, silver dollars, tin foil barbs, bala sharks, plecos. Things around those sizes and temperament can be kept with them.

They will feed on pellets, bloodworms, flakes when they are small, shrimp, most anything they can find and that will fit in their mouth.

They are in the same family as the electric eel. So you should only keep one of them. No matter how big the tank, their electric fields will mess with others of their own kind.

If you keep it fed well, and have a piece of driftwood or PVC pipe for it to hide in, it should be fine with your angels, and your BN plecos if they are full grown.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The BGK's in the midwest reach a healthy 18inches.

Many LFS' around here have one in their massive display tanks.

they are great fish, but as said before-keep it solo or if you want him happy-a 150 would be minimum for a 15-18inch fish.
    but if it thinks something will fit in it's mouth. it'll try to eat it-may it be the long fins of the angel enticing it, or a tetra, it'll be hungry and try like every other predator does.

on topic though: op you mention that you research post purchasing fish...that will lead to issues (like this one).
    its suggested to look up fish, their requirements, capability w/ current/future stock (ask on forums like this) THEN go buy it if it's a good idea.
    you save time, money and headaches.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Okey good to know but it still does not answer the questions and thats the important thing here. Some say the best tank mates for BGK are large passive fish and among them are several cichlids.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    As Kim92, well put it: it depends the tank size.
    doing the bare minimum means no tank mates.

get a 300gallon and you are talking many fun tankmates...

so what is your tank size for the bgk?

0 Not allowed!
    Some cichlids are fairly passive if kept in a large tank. Angels, discus, severums, acaras,eartheaters. If kept in a tank big enough for a BGK and tank mates, you should not have any problems with those cichlids. I would not keep something along the lines of a buttikoferi, jaguar, umbee, or dovii.
    Last edited by kim92; 05-24-2013 at 02:23 AM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    My respond here came abit late took like almost an hour trying to give a respectful response so just ignore that one. The tank is a 99.76 gallon tank but it's to small for my taste i would like a 190 gallon tank but so far i have not found one in my price range all have fish that comes with the tank so the price goes up and i just want an empty tank. But thats the plan for now not allowed to have more then 211 gallon were i live because of the weight but hopefully ill get a better apartment were i can get me a 300 gallon tank or bigger. I'm going to have the angels i have and maybe a few Cleithracara maronii but those are hard to come by were i live most stores won't order fish for you here so you have to find them when they have them in which is rare.

But do anyone have any comments about the pipes i have are they good enough to fit the BGK, and the BN in the small pipe?
    The BN thats going into the tank are full grown both are about 2 years old and the male is a bit larger then 5" the female a bit smaller, right now it goes a 11 month old BN in there turns a year in exactly a month hes nearly 5" but hes going into my small tank when i get the old BN in the large one.

Mizzoutank i did do the research before i got the fish but when i got it i read some more just because i was bored and everything had changed

Quote Originally Posted by Kazumi View Post
    When i researched this fish a few month ago i found a few saying they eat the eyes of angels and other large fish that they can't swallow whole but i found more saying it's very rare that they will do that. Today i was bored after i got the fish and thought i would do some more fish reading on all the fish i have and plan to have in both my tanks and i found this time that it was more saying they will eat the eyes of all other fish in the tank and the fins of them

0 Not allowed!
    A lot of people say that their BGKs are shy and rather peaceful and that they make good community fish for larger tank mates. But I agree, they ultimately will need a large tank.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L