· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hair algae help

1. Default hair algae help

0 Not allowed!
    my 29g planted tank has 7x amazon swords, 3x chain swords, and a brazilian sword. On the taller amazon swords and the largest chain sword a light coating of black hair algae is starting to grow. my lighting is one t-8 power-glo, and another t-8 aqua-glo. I plant substrate fertilizer sticks around each plant, and dose tetra flora-pride once a week after water changes. I read that co2 defiency could cause algae growth, so i recently added a low-key diy co2 system. Any help to alleviate this problem would help, thanks

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    diy isnt too reliable. a 29g is kinda pushing it. i would buy or make a drop checker and a ph solution to make sure you arent in any danger of killing your fish.

if you dose with flourish excell (i think) seachem, or CO2 boost from api. they both have a chemical in it that has algaecide properties and also is a source of carbon for the plants. that would help.

also i think otos and bns might eat that im not 100% tho.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    How long do you leave your light on for? Make sure you are not overfeeding too. How many fish to you have?

You may want to cut off the leaves that have it on it. Do a large water change. Keep up with the water changes. Clean water will help a lot.

I would get some Flourish Excel and an oral syringe. Fill the syringe up with the Excel, and shot it right on the algae. This will kill it. But this is a temporary fix. You need to figure out what you have too much of that is making it grow. Too much light or ferts are the cause of any algae.

CO2 will help with plant growth, which will help the plants out compete the algae. Some algae will also benefit from CO2 as well. But I have no experience with DIY. Pressurized is the way to go IMO. I don't think you need to worry about overdosing CO2 with a DIY setup. I could be wrong though. I would stop dosing the Flora Pride. Nothing you are keeping will really benefit from it. Swords are root feeders.

Other than water changes and dosing Excel with a syringe right at the algae, this is all you can do at this point. Post your photoperiod when you get a chance. There is probably a more permanent solution.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So would i dose this carbon stuff along with tetra florapride? if that was proven just as effective as injecting co2 why do expensive co2 systems exist?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i leave the lights on from 7am-9pm weekdays, and like 9am-10pm on weekends.

0 Not allowed!
    IME, Ecxel can be hard on some fish and may not be enough for some very highly planted tanks

You may want to cut back you lighting period a little. Maybe try around 7 or 8 hours in total along with the advice already posted in this thread
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I would stop dosing the Flora Pride all together. That is probably your problem. The plants you are keeping get their nutrients from the roots. Not the water column.

As far as the Excel. Yes, it will give you the same benefits as a pressurized CO2 system. But you will have to continually buy it. For a pressurized CO2 setup, the initial cost can be a bit expensive. But you can get a decent pressurized CO2 system for around $150. You will probably spend that in a year on Excel. Once you have your CO2 system, then all you need to buy is the CO2 for the bottle. A 10 pound bottle cost like $20 to fill, and should last for at least 18 months in a 29 gallon tank. So in the grand scheme of keeping fish, the pressurized CO2 system really is not that much. Plus it is a one time cost. Then it's just refilling the CO2 when it runs out.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drose11111 View Post
    i leave the lights on from 7am-9pm weekdays, and like 9am-10pm on weekends.
    That is way too long. Get a light timer. Don't leave your lights on for more than 8 hours a day. If you do that, stop dosing the Flora Pride, get some Excel and syringe, and dose the Excel right at the algae with the syringe, this should take care of your problem.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    alright so to fix i will:
    1. stop lighting for so long
    2. stop florapride
    3. get some of that api co2 stuff and dose that

0 Not allowed!
    That should help a lot

Also, do you know your current nitrate levels

What do have for fish in your tank ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]