· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: praecox rainbow

0 Not allowed!
    My rainbows (boesmani, yellow, turquoise and irian red) eat NLS thera A exclusively. It's all they've eaten for nearly 4 years now. It's really not that hard to keep them, even if you are as disrespectful of them as I am. I mean, if I can do everything WRONG, then that's good news for everyone else.....

In order to cure the fish, you must first determine what's wrong with it. Blindly medicating fish is not good practice. Hopefully you have a quarantine tank - treating the healthy fish with meds is not advisable. Perhaps indian woods angels can help you with the diagnosis and treatment, as I am obviously unqualified to to share my experience with these fantastic fish. I'm just thankful that my tank hasn't imploded due to my irresponsibility.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I will continue to offer advice in a patient, polite and respectful demeanor if needed.

0 Not allowed!
    Advice is good - telling people that things WILL happen when they won't, not good.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    + to all the above. I'd add more filtration but I'd also up the water changes to 50% weekly. I do that as a matter of course.
    Good luck. Hope you save him.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There is a solution to almost everything. http://www.recticare.com/?gclid=CJmF...FYc7MgodjhMACg

Default praecox rainbow

0 Not allowed!
    Now rainbows need hemorrhoid cream to live too! This just keeps getting better. Did you make that up as well?

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ive been keeping Rainbow fish for years. They are a hardy fish, and very, very rarely have I ever lost one.

That is, except for the Praecox. For whatever reason, Praecox are the least hardy of all the breeds I have kept. I have lost one from time to time, and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. All of the sudden one will stop eating and a few days later he is gone.

My other breeds are nearly indestructible, and I have some right now that are over seven years old.

As to water changes, I change out about 75% of the water every two weeks. And I dont use prime or any other conditioner. Just drain and fill. Been doing that for years, and the tank is very healthy, including my Bolivian Rams, Roseline sharks, Ottos, and Clown Loaches.

Maybe its poor breeding stock, or maybe they are just more fragile than other Rainbows, but I dont know if you can do anything differently to make them fare better.

Good luck and I hope your other fish continue to thrive.

0 Not allowed!
    jaysee, IWA just is stating his opinion. Its not a personal attack. We all have our methods that work, and each of us has given advice on this forum that might not be supported by others.

Lets stay on topic regarding the sick rainbow

I agree that if the OP has a QT tank to put it in there. It allows you to monitor the fish much more closely and see if you can determine the problem

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That sick rainbow passed, woke up this morning found him among the plants all my other fish are doing fine no signs of sickness thanks for all of the members suggestions, babies are still being born all doing fine.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry you lost your Praecox bow.