· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: praecox rainbow

0 Not allowed!
    Some people can't be too cautious....

If everyone was as cautious, we wouldn't learn anything and stay in our protective bubbles, afraid of the outside world.

There's more than enough fear mongering in this hobby....no need for people to be afraid of water changes too.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

0 Not allowed!
    My only thought on blaming the nitrates was that it was probably the "straw that broke the camels back", ie the fish had other issues, but the highish nitrates didn't help.

Personally I do 30-40% pwc once, or twice, a week. Occassionally will do larger if I feel it needs it. But I do see how a large water change can lead to issues.
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

Default praecox rainbow

0 Not allowed!
    I agree, nitrates aren't helping - it likely sped up whatever was really wrong with it.

Large water changes are the standard for many, MANY fish keepers, though there are some that are afraid of them for whatever reason.
    Last edited by jaysee; 05-24-2013 at 08:14 PM.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
    I agree, nitrates aren't helping - it likely sped up whatever was really wrong with it.
    Exactly, heck, most of the time in this hobby it isn't just one thing that causes problems, its one thing that weakens the fish that shows the problem that eventually kills the fish

I'd still say, toss the 2nd filter on (can't hurt) and keep a close eye for any signs of other problems
    The Dirty 75
    11 Parva Rainbow, 2 Platies, 14 Sterbai, 4 Calico BN Pleco
    My Triple 10 Stack
    My First AC Thread

Awards Showcase

Happy Anniversary. - Strider199 <3 - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For being the 1500th poster to my thread!..thanks! - Slaphppy7 For the safe arrival of Judi's Discus!! - steeler1 
    Thanks for all your help - JoeH Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Happy Holidays! - Rue Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Xmas You Filthy Animal!! - Hardy85 Congratulations, on MOTM!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    I started with 9 neon dwarfs - 3 are left. These 3 have survived dGH that was too low and then had to be slowly raised from 4 to 10 and an outbreak of ich. The other 6 didn't survive - I lost 3 to the ich, 2 to the dGH problem and one came with a damaged gill from the LFS.

I think sometimes, when everything is as it should be in your tank, it just comes down to the fact that some fish are sturdier than others.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - 10 Gold Pristella Tetras, 4 Scissortail Rasboras, 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, 5 Longfin Zebra Danios and 2 Regular Fin
    My Dual 29 gals, a work in progress - Tank 1 - Amano Shrimp, Peppered Cories, Tank 2 - Glowlight Danios and a Calico BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    About that fish gasping at the top of tank I added the second filter other rainbows doing fine but he looks fatter than the other males, around the belly area. another thing he is off by himself not schooling like the rest.

0 Not allowed!
    In my experience when fish go off by themselves that means they are sick/dying. Best thing to do would be to move it to quarantine if you want to try to save it.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I might just have to euthanize it, poor baby.

0 Not allowed!
    If you don't have a quarantine tank then that's probably a good idea.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Diet is very important in rainbows. They are geared towards eating vegetation and algae and high amounts of complex proteins cause issues in their livers and kidneys. They get bacterial issues within these organs. The ideal diet for rainbows is a vegetable diet and small easily digestible forms of crustaceans. I use a kelp and spirulina complex as well as a marine based flake for algae preferring saltwater angels. In regards to euthanizing I tend towards curing the fish if possible. The reason being is that if you euthanize each fish as it comes down with an item you never do educate yourself in regards to treatment and you may just keep cycling through your tank until it is eventually empty over a malady that may be easily corrected. It would be a shame to euthanize fish because of misinformation. This site specializes in the care of rainbows. www.rainbow-fish.org On this site you will find keepers of exotic rainbow fish species and like minded keepers who keep their specimens in optimal conditions and respect the specialty care that these fish require.