Aquarium Forum
 


Menu
  · Tropical Fish Home
· Fish News
· Aquarium Forum
· Buy & Sell
· Calculators
· Equipment reviews
· Free Aquarium Ebook
· Feedback
· Link to us
· Photo gallery
· Plant species
· Tropica Plant DB
Tropical fish species
· By Common name
· By Scientific name
Tropical Marine fish
· By Common name
· By Scientific name

_________________
 
      
        Via paypal

  AC news is a part of
      Nature Blog Network

      Reef Aquarium Blog

Privacy & Ad Policy

Articles
  · African Cichlids
· Algae Control
· Aquarium Decoration
· Aquarium Resources
· Aquatic Plants
· Barb Fish
· Betta Fish
· Breeding Fish
· Catfish
· Central American Cichlids
· Cichlids
· Clownfish
· Corals
· Corydoras Catfish
· Discus Fish
· Dwarf Cichlids
· Fish Diseases
· Frogs and Turtles
· Goby Fish
· Goldfish
· Gourami
· Invertebrates
· Jellyfish
· Killiefish
· Lake Victoria Cichlids
· Livebearers
· Malawi Cichlids
· Marine Aquariums
· Marine Aquarium Fish
· Other Fish
· Pleco
· Predatory Fish
· Photography
· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28
  1. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kim92 View Post
    I don't feel like there is any fire here Steller1. Just a polite conversation.

    Then according to Cliff, Genocidex, and Steeler1, any fish in a room with a stereo, will become stressed, and die prematurely? Where are you guys getting your information on this? From first hand experience? Or are you just guessing?
    I will have to be sure not to watch Jaws :) I think I am leaning on finding another room for my tank. I appreciate the input

  2. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Kim92,

    stressed fish lead to disease, sickness, and then death. may it be premature, or at their time that is a proven fact in the aquatics world for what stress does to fish.

    Information is based on science. if your tank can see the flashing lights, then your fish experience that.
    well known fact is that fish do not enjoy that strob light effect.

    lastly, glass does dampen the vibration. however, you are forgetting that sound travels through air. and the tank isn't 'sealed' to prevent vibrations coming into the tank.
    that constant rumble that travels through their water doesn't help them whatsoever.
    it's just like you standing in front of a speaker at a concert...look up how that 'shakes your insides' and how that's not really healthy if you sustain that for long periods/frequent periods.

    so no. it's not guessing. it is experience and how math and science work.
    i've taken many optics classes to know how light travels through mediums, and how sound waves travel through mediums.

    OP: you've made a wise choice not putting in that media room.
    my tank is in my 'man cave' with my TV, but it is out of the way and I don't blare the music either. maybe explore a happy medium?

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    methuen ma usa
    Posts
    3,536

    Awards Showcase

    Blog Entries
    2
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    well the glass might be a thermal insulator, but it isnt a good sound insulator. glass will vibrate with the loud sounds. and cause vibrations into the tank. im not saying that a normal volume tv will cause any fish distress, but a loud war movie with a big sub woofer might cause some problems. im also not saying it will kill all fish, as stated above some fish are more skidish thus prone to stress than other. think about tapping on the glass, the fish scatter until they are used to seeing you and the tap. the sound would be doing similar to that.

    and to your stereo situation, yes my tank used to be next to a stereo i never used it. then my BH came over for xmas wrapping and cleaning and she had the radio pumped up to some bad music. my green tiger barbs lost 90% of the color, and they were darting all around the tank. moved the stereo to another room and had no problem. so i have personal experience with that.

    another point i made wasnt just sound, every knows fish get stressed with a sudden light coming on. i know theres a couple of movies that goes from a dark scene and something blows up.... bright light + dark room = fish stressed. another point would be not to keep bala sharks or such like that, they are known jumpers when stressed. tho that would be an interesting affect in a horror movie. getting smacked in the back of the head right before the climax.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

  4. #14

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    Kim92,

    stressed fish lead to disease, sickness, and then death. may it be premature, or at their time that is a proven fact in the aquatics world for what stress does to fish.
    I never said that fish being stressed would not lead to premature death. I said that music and a TV will not stress them.
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    Information is based on science. if your tank can see the flashing lights, then your fish experience that.
    well known fact is that fish do not enjoy that strob light effect.
    I know so many people that have a TV in the same room as a fish tank, I know that this does not negatively affect fish. This is based on my experience with keeping fish in the same rooms with TV's. I am not aware of this well known fact with fish and strobe lights. Care to share where you got this information from? I would be interested in learning about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    lastly, glass does dampen the vibration. however, you are forgetting that sound travels through air. and the tank isn't 'sealed' to prevent vibrations coming into the tank.
    that constant rumble that travels through their water doesn't help them whatsoever.
    it's just like you standing in front of a speaker at a concert...look up how that 'shakes your insides' and how that's not really healthy if you sustain that for long periods/frequent periods.

    so no. it's not guessing. it is experience and how math and science work.
    i've taken many optics classes to know how light travels through mediums, and how sound waves travel through mediums.
    Go to that same concert, and get inside a glass tank full of water. You will not feel any vibrations from the music inside that glass tank. Sound travels though air, yes. How much air is in water for it to travel through?
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post
    OP: you've made a wise choice not putting in that media room.
    my tank is in my 'man cave' with my TV, but it is out of the way and I don't blare the music either. maybe explore a happy medium?
    It sounds like you are doing what you said not to do. Doesn't the flashing from the TV stress the fish?
    Last edited by kim92; 05-23-2013 at 02:59 AM.

  5. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Its just knowledge in the aquatics world
    google "strobe lights on fish tank" and see all the people say "awful idea"
    http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...er-fish-81982/

    have you ever seen a fish dart around when the lights flip on and off....they don't like it. it's proven by nearly all fish act that way because they become stressed with the sudden change.

    lastly, you've must never been in water before with music playing in it to really understand.
    what you are saying 'you will not feel vibrations from the music inside that tank' means, when underwater, you cannot hear a single thing.
    sound is vibration-that is the definition of how it goes from point a to point b. so your point is completely wrong.

    ever been in a lake, dive under and hear a boat? that is a sound wave....
    whales-they produce noises right? google whale sounds. how did they capture that if vibrations can't travel through water? did they stick the microphone inside the whale?

    and i said 'it is out of the way' which means, the tv is out of the way...it does not face the tank whatsoever.
    for reasons i've stated above.

  6. #16

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    You guys are taking this to a extreme that does not happen in a average home. The level of music at a concert is not something many people will have in their home. Not many people over the age of 16 are not into strobe lights in their living rooms. So your average home theater that almost all of us have in our own homes, will not produce anything that will have negative effects on fish.

    They are your fish in your own home. Do what you think is best for them. But I can tell you from years of keeping fish with loud stereos and large TV's in the same rooms together, that doing this will not harm your fish.

    I have read and re-read all the peoples answers who think that it will. And none have any actually evidence that it does have negative affects.

  7. Default


    0 Not allowed!
    It's not an extreme.

    if you can't find the research that backs the facts.
    then start looking into how strobe lights are not healthy for human eyes.
    it's the exact same for fish-except our eyes are more advanced to help block out lights and adapt. theirs can't.

    the level of music played in homes vary, but regardless, if it gets loud like during movies, your fish feel that. just like your ears feel it 10 feet away.
    water doesn't stop the sound.

    the strobe effect comes from the picture changing on the screen. you have no control of that. it's part of the movie or show.
    to your fish, that is extra light that is flashing in their eyes.

    highly recommend you read that article posted and check out google for further research.

  8. #18

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I have seen fish dart when the lights in their tank come on. Is this killing them? I don't think so.

    As far as being underwater with sound. Everything I hear underwater is very muffled and quiet. Like the water is dampening the sound. Which is exactly what it does. Then put a piece of glass in front of that, and the sound is being even more dampered.

    I have a tank that faces a 72 inch TV. The fish could care less about what is on the TV. Or the lights that it emits. Just my experience.

  9. #19

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    My research to back the facts are the fish in my house. And the fish in the houses of the people I associate with. Real life experience and common sense. Have a good evening.

  10. #20

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Strong vibrations can stress out fish which will not be good for them

    If you set-up a tank in the room, you would have to be careful about the volumn and base
    Quote Originally Posted by kim92 View Post
    I don't feel like there is any fire here Steller1. Just a polite conversation.

    Then according to Cliff, Genocidex, and Steeler1, any fish in a room with a stereo, will become stressed, and die prematurely? Where are you guys getting your information on this? From first hand experience? Or are you just guessing?
    Kim92:
    You might want to re-read a few posts as you have miss-understood a few things posted in this thread. As you can see by the above quotes, you did not read what I had posted. You have to be careful of situations like this as it almost always leads to drama which no one here likes. Our opinions are not too far apart on this topic.

    I was posting on my 17 years of first hand experiance just as I assume you are. If I turn up my base or turn up the volume to higher levels, my fish will start acting a lot different then normal which is a sign of stress. Normal TV watching at what I would call average volumn levels has no effect on them

    I would also caution you about starting drama on the forum. You don't have to aggree with everything posted, only respect it.
    Last edited by Cliff; 05-23-2013 at 10:59 AM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •