Results 1 to 10 of 18
Thread: A Rockstar has landed!
05-22-2013, 05:51 PM #1
A Rockstar has landed!
That was just to get your attention. Although I AM a musician I'm certainly not on that level yet...
My name is Isivaa Sanaru (Isi) and I'm enjoying my Aquarium with 2 Ocadia Sinensis (or Chinese Stripe-Necked Turtles) and about 50-60 Neon Tetras very much right now. I could always use some advice though, since I'm just starting out. I have like a 40 gallon tank or something filled HALF with water and partly land area for my turtles to dry and bask. I have a filter and a pump (all-in-one), no idea which brand, but my tank looks nice and clean so far and I was told it was big enough lol. I also have like 10 live plants (about 4 different species) in there along with some gravel.
I live in Taipei, Taiwan - sadly they don't really care about anything that isn't human (they barely care about humans either) and they don't have the best reputation when it comes to treating animals. It IS improving, but it's still far from Europe's or America's standards (I guess). With that said, I really like animals and have done so for my whole life.
My main issues are though these:
1) What do I (if anything) lack for my tank to keep my Neon Tetras alive and happy? They aren't JUST feeder fish... My turtles can't even catch them. What temperature do they require? I currently have like 30 degrees (85 Fahrenheit) in the water, which I believe is a bit hot. But so far I haven't found a decent way of cooling it down. Any advice here?
2) As I have plenty of plants and gravel, do I need to feed my Neon Tetras or will they find food on their own? If yes, what type of food should I get them? Preferably something that isn't poisonous to my turtles.
3) Do I GOT to get a CO2 Source now or can that wait?
All advice and replies are much appreciated! Looking forward to learn a lot from my time spent on this forum! Thanks!"We are living on this planet as if we had another one to go to"
05-22-2013, 06:09 PM #2
Welcome to the forum, here is my take.
Really the neons should have there own tank, I'm sure the turtles stress them, and if tank is only half full there isn't a ton of room for them.
but I do understand working with what you have, so lets start there.
1. To keep them alive and happy, make sure you are doing regular water changes, have a good filter (specially with the turtles), lots of plants for them to hide in, around 78-80* F. If you have more water in the tank, try leaving the lid open during the day (if its not too hot out should cool the water, also if its hot out, keep tank out of direct light and leave aquarium lights off during the day, turn on at night instead)
2. Feed them a quality flake food, they can't just fend for themselves in a closed environment, as much as we try to duplicate a natural environment, there is only so much we can do
3. You do not need a CO2 source, unless you have high CO2 plants, which I wouldn't recommend anyway
Hopefully that is a start, many people will say get another tank for the turtles or fish (I agree) but for now make these corrections while you look for another set up for them.
05-22-2013, 06:38 PM #3
Welcome aboard Rockstar .Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit. -Vince Lombardi
“Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep
05-22-2013, 06:42 PM #4
Welcome to the forum
I have like a 40 gallon tank or something
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.
A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.
05-22-2013, 07:08 PM #5
2. You do need to feed them. Neons are easy to feed. Any decent quality flake will do nicely.
3. You only need to get a co2 source if you really want to boost plant growth. Have a look at my setup. Only co2 I add to that is 2ml of "liquid co2 per day"
05-22-2013, 09:56 PM #6
Welcome to the community
The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of the act
05-23-2013, 07:39 AM #7
I live in Asia, it's like 30 degrees in my room - which means 30 degrees (86 F) in the water... I can't find a way to cool it down. I've tried to constantly renew the water with colder water but within an hour it's up again. Guess this is my biggest problem.
I'll get them some flake food though, gonna buy that today. Thanks!"We are living on this planet as if we had another one to go to"
05-23-2013, 07:40 AM #8
05-23-2013, 07:43 AM #9
05-23-2013, 10:01 AM #10
Welcome to the AC....
You're getting old when you get the same sensation from a rocking chair that you once got from a roller coaster.