· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Help, confused on dwarf gourami

0 Not allowed!
    I want to add dwarf gouramis to my 29 gallon tank, I'm trying to figure out how many. Browsing the Internet and various books I keep getting answers from as many as you want, to one male to two female, to only one male. Could anybody clear this up for me? Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    I don't keep gourami but I do know that you are going to need to be more specific wrt which type of DG you refer to.

I suspect this is the source of your confusion as well as I'd wager differing types of DG are being referenced.

Different fish = Different answer.

I will add that having two [or more] of the particular labyrinth fish you are considering in that small of a tank has risks, Betta are often kept solo for a good reason.

Last edited by Goes to 11!; 05-22-2013 at 03:12 AM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Depending on the stocking, one would be best. But as Goes to 11! said that depends on which dwarf species you're talking about.

0 Not allowed!
    dwarf gourami generally refers to colisia lalia. other small species have their own names, such as honey gourami (c. chuna), and thicklipped gourami (c. labiosa).
    "as many as you want" will not work out very well. gouramis are territorial creatures. they are fairly aggressive for their size so unless your tank is very heavily planted I
    would go with a single fish. if you want to try pairs or trios(be sure to have a backup plan if things don't work) then make sure all other fish except one are female(hard to find)
    and have lots of cover.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    dwarf gourami generally refers to colisia lalia. other small species have their own names, such as honey gourami (c. chuna), and thicklipped gourami (c. labiosa).
    "as many as you want" will not work out very well. gouramis are territorial creatures. they are fairly aggressive for their size so unless your tank is very heavily planted I
    would go with a single fish. if you want to try pairs or trios(be sure to have a backup plan if things don't work) then make sure all other fish except one are female(hard to find)
    and have lots of cover.
    agreed, there is but one dwarf gourami. Though there are other species of gouramis that could be considered dwarfs because of their size, they have their own names, as was mentioned. Can't say I've ever seen someone call a sparkling gourami a dwarf gourami, however, I have seen people mistakenly call honey gouramis dwarf gouramis, and I'm sure someone has made the mistake of calling a thick lipped a dwarf gourami as well.

The short answer is 1 - a 29 is not very big.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    only one.

i had a dwarf gourami in m 45 and he was the meanest fish i've ever had. big bully to my rams and the territories that others speak of...well he took the entire tank.
    others have had great experiences with them, but youll end up with dead fish if you add more than one

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In my 75g I have a male dwarf gourami, and a male Honey dwarf gourami. They only go after each other if one of them enters into the other's area, otherwise there's no problem with them. My tank is medium planted right now, but I do have enough "caves" for them to hide in if they want to.
    Ghpr13:)
    Simba 1994-2013 RIP

0 Not allowed!
    Having tried having 2 males in my 55 I would say def only have 1 male. Females are impossible to find in most stores, usually have to be special ordered, and if you had a bigger tank 55+ you could do 2-3 females and 1 male.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a pretty heavily planted tank , 6x amazon sword, 3x chain sword, and a Brazilian sword, and the dg
    I am referring to is Colisa lalia.
    Last edited by Drose11111; 05-22-2013 at 10:03 PM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had 3 male Colisa Labia in my 29 tank together - as babies - not knowing any better. They got along fine for about 6 months then the trouble started. I tried 2 in my 90 gallon for a while but had to move one out before it got bullied to death by the other.
    You've gotten good advice by the other posters. 1 dwarf male gourami per tank. And as has been said, females are scarce - also not as colorful.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492