· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help.

1. Default Need some help.

0 Not allowed!
    So with the failure of my older tank, I was planning on getting a bigger one (50 gallons) as I've heard they're 1. Easier to take care of and 2. I just want a wider variety of fish.

So if I do end up being able to convince my mom, I want to be prepared.

I really want some Angelfish (I was thinking 2.) However I learned that they need a taller tank because of their fins. I was looking on petsmart and I found a tank/hood combo with the dimensions of 48 1/4"L x 12 3/4"W x 20"H. Would this be okay to house 2 angels? Or would I need to get a taller one?

I also learned that they struggle with fish compatibility. So I'm just going to list what I'm PLANNING on getting.

-2 Angelfish
    -4 Black Molly
    -3 Silver Hatchetfish
    -5 Jumbo Neon Tetra
    -1 Mystery Snail.

Now I know most of these are community fish besides the Angels, do you think they would eat any of them?

Sorry for all the questions, just don't want this to end badly!

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    i have no idea about the jumbo neons, but the normal ones are micro preditors, this means they will do a great job taking care of the molly fry you will have. if you pair the angels they will be fine, anything as tall or taller than a 29g high would be fine, so a 55 is great. the angels will also help eat extra fry. the parents will be fine.

edit: oh i forgot, you should bump up the neons a bit, like 12 min. you have plenty of space i think
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed, A 55 will only be fine for more than one angel IF they are a mated pair OR POSSIBLY if you have lots of plants to break up sight lines and territories. The second option is still risky because angels are territorial cichlids and of one of them decides the tank is THEIRS there will be nowhere the other can run that will be out of the first ones 'territory'.

This is why the footprint of the tank is important.

IMO your schooling fish should be in higher numbers.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The only thing is....

According to petsmart-
    Angelfish grow up to 6" (so that's 12 total.)
    Black Molly grow up to 3" (So that's 12 total for 4.)
    Mystery Snails are 2"
    Silver Hatchetfish are 3" (So that's 9" total for 3.)
    JUmbo Neon Tetra are 2" (So that's 10" for 5.)

This already takes me to 45" out of my 50" available for a 50 gallon tank....

0 Not allowed!
    No, That's far from the only thing... Really far.

The "Inch per gallon" rule Is an outdated and useless concept that could only be taken seriously using small tanks and small fish.. If then.

IE; My 9" Oscar does not live in a 10g tank & Exactly like my example--> It's not applicable here either.

Last edited by Goes to 11!; 05-22-2013 at 12:09 AM.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That's good to know!

Darn petsmart people.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    With the right set up you could have two angels in that tank. You will need lots of tall plants to break up territories and sight. There is no such thing as a "jumbo"neon, they are just older neons. I'm not sure about the hatchet fish/angelfish compatibility, so you will have to wait for someone else to comment on that, but if they are compatible you will want more hatchets, and a good lid, they jump.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    All of the above advice on a pair of angels is good. Another option: You might also want to consider a single angel - that takes the possibility of squabbles over territory out of the equation. Angels do well singly and unless you know you have a mated pair when you purchase them, you're taking a chance that they will be rivals - again, as has been said above. If you opted for a single angel, then you could also do as others suggested and increase the numbers on your other fish. Say 6 hatchets and a dozen neons. Just make certain the angel is small when you buy it if you plan to stock neons. If the angel has any size to it, it may consider the neons food. If they grow up together, it could work.
    Good luck. sounds like a pretty tank.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 05-22-2013 at 12:24 AM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    YVW
    Just make certain the angel is small when you buy it if you plan to stock neons. If the angel has any size to it, it may consider the neons food.
    'may'.... [Don't know about the 'jumbo neons' but..] In the wild neons are a natural food source of angels. Just something to be aware of.

Meh - Don't sweat the big box pet store people. People have FAR FAR too high of expectations of them, We see it all the time.

After all, They are only there to stock shelves, Make change and net fish. When it comes to being an informed customer ... That responsibility & research... is yours.

But you are on that path now so..
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 05-22-2013 at 12:26 AM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    All of the above advice on a pair of angels is good. Another option: You might also want to consider a single angel - that takes the possibility of squabbles over territory out of the equation. Angels do well singly and unless you know you have a mated pair when you purchase them, you're taking a chance that they will be rivals - again, as has been said above. If you opted for a single angel, then you could also do as others suggested and increase the numbers on your other fish. Say 6 hatchets and a dozen neons. Just make certain the angel is small when you buy it if you plan to stock neons. If the angel has any size to it, it may consider the neons food. If they grow up together, it could work.
    Good luck. sounds like a pretty tank.
    '

That's really good to know. Mostly the reason I was getting 2 angels is because I was afraid 1 would get lonely....However, unless I know the 2 I get will get along, I'll just get 1.