· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Lake Malawi 46 gallon bowfront

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone!

I currently have a 46 gallon bowfront tank, have had it up and running a little over a year now. I enjoy the tank, but lately have been thinking of converting it to something different. I don't want any plants in my tank, not really too fond of dealing with them, so i'd rather just rocks and sand. I used that as my starting point, and eventually started looking into Lake Tanganyika tanks. After awhile I realized that a Lake Malawi tank would better suit what I want.

I've been researching Malawi tanks lately, and i've got a few ideas, looking for some advice:

1. A tank of about 12-15 pseudotropheus demasoni. I think they're an absolutely stunning fish, but have heard they can be quite aggressive. Best to keep them in a single species tanks of at least 12+ from what i've heard.

2. Pseudotropheus saulosi. Another stunning fish, and the big benefit here is the males are blue and the female are orange/yellow, so I would have a little more colour variety.

3. Labidochromis caeruleus. Love these as well, very nice with the yellow/black. I would approach them similarly to the saulosi in terms of stocking, but obviously no blue from these fish.

If I went with #1, i'd be committed to 1 species, that's basically set it stone. Maybe a bottom feeder or two later on if that's plausible. The fish from #2 and #3 seem less aggressive, and might be a bit easier for a beginner cichlid keeper like myself. #2 has the advantage of 2 colours as well.

My other thought is if i went with #2 or #3, could I have a second species of dwarf mbuna in the tank, as long as it wasn't the same colour as the first species?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've decided to go for a tank of pseudotropheus saulosi. Thinking about something along the lines of 3M/10F