· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl 
    BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl more new fish!! - SeaLady 
    Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

Default API Test kit questions

0 Not allowed!
    I contacted API with a couple of questions I had about the master test kit, the results are below, just an FYI if anyone is interested:

I have a few questions regarding the API Freshwater Master Test Kit:

1. After mixing the solutions, does it make a difference whether or not you leave the tubes capped or not while waiting for results?..I know that some chemical reactions need oxygen to fully react, it would seem that leaving the tubes capped would limit the amount of oxygen

2. When testing Ammonia, Nitrates, and Nitrites, you are required to allow the solution to sit for 5 minutes before interpreting the results...Is this AT LEAST 5 minutes or EXACTLY 5 minutes...I ask because I like to do all 3 tests at once, and since I don't start timing until the 3rd solution is mixed, the first solution mixed will be sitting an extra few minutes...

Thanks for your time!

Thank you very much for contacting us regarding our products. All of your comments and questions are valuable. We use your feedback to create the most effective line of aquarium and pond products available.

Matt if you keep the tubes capped or uncapped it will not affect the readings for each level that you are trying to determine. As far as test time is concerned you will want to be as close to the 5 minute mark as possible to determine the accurate level. If the tube sits past the 5 minute mark it may give you another reading that may be incorrect but you will be very close to the 5 minute mark so the level should be accurate. I personally have never seen a difference in that + / - minute when waiting to read the test.

If you have any other questions or wish to discuss this further, please email back or give us a call at 1-800-847-0659.
    Best Regards,
    Nathan Fekula
    Technical Service and Research
    Mars Fishcare
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Very useful information! Thanks for sharing.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 a liquid lunch for you - RiversGirl 
    BOOM! Have a gourami. - ~firefly~ TGIF!!!!!!!!!! - Taurus hides the stick and gives you a cookie instead - RiversGirl TGIF *cheers* - RiversGirl more new fish!! - SeaLady 
    Supposed to be a Neon but looks more like a Cardinal :) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 It's Miller time! - Taurus A hot toddy for your crude. :-) - Taurus After all that help I owe you a beer! - Richard Peche 
    You needed one! - Plecos TGIF it's been awile ;) - steeler58 TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Very useful information! Thanks for sharing.
    You are quite welcome Taurus!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was just going to ask today in this forum if anyone knew if I left the tubes longer than 5 minutes if the results would vary. I'm glad I saw this before posting. Thanks.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, Red Wag Platy, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    You're welcome, ijankrom ...glad the info was useful to you

Awards Showcase

Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 
    We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny 

0 Not allowed!
    I remember you asking about the caps. I really didn't think it would matter but I didn't know for sure, now I do. Thanks for finding that out and letting us know.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    + to all the above. Thanks for the good info.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Hi fishmommie and HB1,
    You are quite welcome for the info...hey, BTW, I am bot getting e-mail notifications of my subscribed threads all of a sudden, or I would have posted back promptly...anyone else having this issue?