· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Pretty sure I'm overstocked - but how bad?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all - have a newly (re)cycled 10 gallon tank that I finished stocking today. Due to bad advice from uncaring or unknowledgable pet shop employees, I think my tank may be over stocked - but I'm trying to figure out if it's bad enough to return a fish or two or if I should just stick it out and see how it goes. Here's what I currently have:

- 1 white cloud minnow - (I know its a schooling fish - this guy is the last hold out from my tank before it had a crash a few months ago.)
    - 1 2" neon sword tail
    - 1 rainbow platy
    - 1 male betta
    - 3 rasbora harlequin
    - 1 cory punctatus

So far the betta seems to be getting along fine with the other fish, although it's only been one day. The main things I'm concerned about are:

1) Is this just too many fish?
    2) Is it ok to have only 3 rasboras?
    3) Is it ok to have a lone cory catfish? (The store employee did not tell me this was a schooling fish - I only learned it after reading online when I got home. I should have done my research first but this was an impulse buy)

I'm running an AC20 filter and as of today my water levels are all normal.

Thanks!

H

0 Not allowed!
    have a newly (re)cycled 10 gallon tank
    Does this mean your tank is cycled? As in the first two threads listed here: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...play.php?f=111

I'm running an AC20 filter and as of today my water levels are all normal.
    Post your actual numbers please and are you testing with a liquid test kit or strips?

Quote Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
    1) Is this just too many fish? Yes
    2) Is it ok to have only 3 rasboras? IMO, It's nowhere near enough.
    3) Is it ok to have a lone cory catfish? No, They are social fish and like lots of buddies
    A 10G is a fine home for a solo Betta, Leave it at that.
    Last edited by Goes to 11!; 05-20-2013 at 02:58 AM.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    IMO a sword tail is too large of a fish for a ten gal...adult size is 4", and they are a pretty active fish. You didn't mention the sex of the fish, but if you have a male/female swordtail and platy in there, you will also end up with fry you likely don't want, tho the betta will yum them up as soon as they are born.

My suggestion would be to keep the betta and perhaps 5 white cloud minnows, and bring the rest back.
    If you want more variety in your tank, try some shrimp. They are always a good addition to a tank, tho they will need to be larger ones so the betta doesn't try to eat them.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the replies. I use the master liquid test kit. I don't remember the exact numbers (I'm at work now) but ammonia and nitrites were 0 and I had a small reading of nitrates. I believe pH was 7.2. Would I be in better shape if I exchange the swordtail for a second cory?

Would that stock be crowded enough to upset the water chemistry and be dangerous to the fish? Or is it just not ideal? I do weekly 20% water changes and keep the tank very clean.

Thanks~
    H

0 Not allowed!
    I would advise you to follow the advise provided above and return all fish except the betta - exchanging the swordfish for another cory still won't provide the corys with a sufficient # to be content.

Upsetting your water chemistry along with keeping a mishmash of fish isn't ideal. Impulse buys for a fishkeeper often ends up with recommendations to return fish or get a larger tank.

Keeping too many fish in a small tank requires much more than 20% weekly changes, monitoring with your kit very often and dealing with growing fish who will eventually become cramped and stressed. I can't imagine you would want that.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    stocking a small tank is always tricky. I wouldn't add a 2nd cory. In fact, I'd return the one you have if you can. Corys are schooling fish and 6 is generally considered the minimum number for a school.
    IMO - and some may disagree - but something ideal for this tank would be the betta and 6 - 8 neons. You've had the white cloud for so long though I can see how you'd hate to let go of it.
    the problem I see with keeping a White cloud with a betta is the ideal temp range. Betta likes 80 - 82F to really be happy and the highest range recommended for the white clouds is around 70F.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    What you'll find with an overstocked 10 gal, is that your stock will die off to what your tank, and the fish natures, can handle. You'll end up with a set of mismatched fish and your tank will not look good.

A singleton and a small school looks far nicer to the eye and is better for the fish than a collection of single fish wandering around trying to avoid each other.

The best option really is to stock your tank according to the fishes natural tendencies. You'll find you have much more active (I'm not going to say happier because that is a subjective judgement we make) fish and a tank that is more interesting to look at because of that.

I've had my ten gal going for many years now, and this is what has worked best, most consistently.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok - I made a few adjustments to the tank. One fish died and I returned the platy and swordtail.

My current stock is: 4 harlequins, 2 corys. Been this way for about 2 weeks now and water chemistry has been stable. I'm wondering if I should get one more cory and one more harlequin to fill out the schools. Or if there is a good singleton fish I can put in there. Or should I just leave it the way it is?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
    Ok - I made a few adjustments to the tank. One fish died and I returned the platy and swordtail.

My current stock is: 4 harlequins, 2 corys. Been this way for about 2 weeks now and water chemistry has been stable. I'm wondering if I should get one more cory and one more harlequin to fill out the schools. Or if there is a good singleton fish I can put in there. Or should I just leave it the way it is?
    Good for you for returning the sword tails.
    It's already been suggested and bears repeating, cory do not do well as single or even a pair. they are social schooling fish and 6 would be the minimum number. I'd return the 2 cory and add two more harleys as they, too, like to be in a group of no less than 6.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    10g is too small for cories. Even rasboras are a squeeze in a tank that small. I would personally take everything back and just get some neon tetras and some shrimp or snails or something.