· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: turtle to fish

1. Default turtle to fish

0 Not allowed!
    So before college I had a turtle tank with my Algea eaters and some cheap minnows and goldfish as turtle protein now that I'm back from college only thing in my tank are stinkbugs and daddy long legs ..don't know what happened ..so now I'm rebuilding my tank with fish only don't know what exactly to do since turtles are easier to accomidate I have 2 plecos 4 cardinals cardinals and 4 assorted guppys in a 25gallon tank so far I lost 1guppy and 1 cardinal in 2 days my ph is bout 7.5 and ammonia levels are good I have a small anubias plant I hideout decour log thing a fake plant and some gravel a 30gal heater maintaining 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit and a 20 gal filter I'm feeding them tropical fish flakes I plan on adding more colorful and active fish but I want to make sure my tank is stable enough what am I doing right and wrong here

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also after browsing the site a bit I found out placos Arnt tank cleaners but I still like them what can I get that will get excess food and algae from my gravel and small corners in my tank ..I had crab at one point with my turtle before he decided to eat them but I always found them on top of my lid wouldnt mind having more crab or shrimp soon but how do i keep them inside my tank

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by aem2991 View Post
    Also after browsing the site a bit I found out placos Arnt tank cleaners but I still like them what can I get that will get excess food and algae from my gravel and small corners in my tank ..I had crab at one point with my turtle before he decided to eat them but I always found them on top of my lid wouldnt mind having more crab or shrimp soon but how do i keep them inside my tank
    I have bad news for you, The answer is this:
    Nothing, Cleaning the tank is explicitly your job. WRT your specific issues I would suggest that you feed less and vacuum more often.

All you can do is tightly close up all the spaces on the lid to make your tank 'escape proof'.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi
    Goes to 11 has answered your 'cleaning' question.
    As for why the fish died ....
    How long have you had your tank set up for fish? Did you cycle the tank? And when you say your ammonia level is good, what does that mean? You ammonia should bd 0 if your tanks is cycled. Are you testing your water with an API liquid test kit or strips?

If you tank is new and you did not cycle it before adding fish, you should attempt to keep both ammonia and nitrites around .25ppm until the cycle is complete at which time your ammonia and nitrites will read 0 and nitrates should stay below 20ppm. Please read the stickie in the beginners section on cycling with fish for information.

I'd also say you are under filtered. Most here use double the filtration for the tank size. So if you have a 20 gallon tank, you should have filtration capacity for a 40 gallon tank.

What kind of plecos do you have? if they are common plecos they will outgrow the tank very quickly. They also produce massive amounts of waste which will affect your water quality. I'd rehome them as soon as possible. also bottom dwelling fish bear the brunt of the toxins during a cycle period.

My guess is the fish have died because you have toxic levels of ammonia or nitrites or nitrates. 50% water changes daily while you are cycling may stop the bleeding.

I'd also attempt to stabilize the tank temperature so it doesn't fluctuate so much. a steady constant temp will help.

Good luck and answers to the above questions will help even more to figure out what might be happening in your tank.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Oops - multitasking lol

Quote Originally Posted by aem2991 View Post
    my ph is bout 7.5 and ammonia levels are good ... a 20 gal filter
    What are 'good ammonia levels'? [The only good number is zero.] Post your actual numbers please.

DEF undefiltered.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus 
    Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie Have a Cory for passing 15,000 post's; WOW!! - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    Hi
    Goes to 11 has answered your 'cleaning' question.
    As for why the fish died ....
    How long have you had your tank set up for fish? Did you cycle the tank? And when you say your ammonia level is good, what does that mean? You ammonia should bd 0 if your tanks is cycled. Are you testing your water with an API liquid test kit or strips?

If you tank is new and you did not cycle it before adding fish, you should attempt to keep both ammonia and nitrites around .25ppm until the cycle is complete at which time your ammonia and nitrites will read 0 and nitrates should stay below 20ppm. Please read the stickie in the beginners section on cycling with fish for information.

I'd also say you are under filtered. Most here use double the filtration for the tank size. So if you have a 20 gallon tank, you should have filtration capacity for a 40 gallon tank.

What kind of plecos do you have? if they are common plecos they will outgrow the tank very quickly. They also produce massive amounts of waste which will affect your water quality. I'd rehome them as soon as possible. also bottom dwelling fish bear the brunt of the toxins during a cycle period.

My guess is the fish have died because you have toxic levels of ammonia or nitrites or nitrates. 50% water changes daily while you are cycling may stop the bleeding.

I'd also attempt to stabilize the tank temperature so it doesn't fluctuate so much. a steady constant temp will help.

Good luck and answers to the above questions will help even more to figure out what might be happening in your tank.
    +1 to fishmommie, all good questions and suggestions....If I were you, I'd read ALL the stickies in the beginners section to get started
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    And since pleco identification is notoriously difficult, pictures help!