· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default need a recommendation on a good quality, readily available internal antibiotic

0 Not allowed!
    hello all,

so, my swollen betta is doing worse. he barely passes the white junk out of himself and his belly near the anal area is getting red. i think there is an infection that has presented as a complication with the parasite infestation. this is likely preventing him from passing the remains of the infestation. he doesn't pass anything after getting peas every other day and he has epsom salts in his tank. he is still alert and swimming. it is very unlikely it is dropsy - so please don't introduce that commentary haha. no pineconing, localized, and been ongoing too long - he'd be dead by now.

so, after finishing his second prazi treatment tomorrow, i'd like to wait a day and then give him the antibiotic tout de suite! i am not going to have time to order something online, so anything i could find at a decent LFS or even better, petsmart, would be appreciated!
    Last edited by xdanxnjx; 05-22-2013 at 02:57 AM.
    20gal: 18 neon tetra, ghost shrimp
    5.5gal: 5 glolight tetra
    5.5gal: royal blue/purple butterfly rose tail betta

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Either PraziPro or Metro+ would be your best bet. From what I've read both are good treatment options, if you can't find those you should be able to find API General Cure which contains metronidazole (what is found in Metro+) and Praziquantel (what is found in PraziPro) fairly easy. I know in my area both the LFS and Petco carry the API General Cure.
    20 gallon tall: empty
    29 gallon: moderately planted with 9 bloodfin tetra, 1 german blue ram, 11 glow light tetra and 1 BNP
    10 gallon QT: empty

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by xdanxnjx View Post

so, after finishing his second prazi treatment tomorrow, i'd like to wait a day and then give him the antibiotic tout de suite! i am not going to have time to order something online, so anything i could find at a decent LFS or even better, petsmart, would be appreciated!
    Metro is an antibiotic. Prazi is not. I know, I know....I'm picky.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Metro is an antibiotic. Prazi is not. I know, I know....I'm picky.
    + to Taurus.
    Metro + is a great, mild antibiotic medication and very effective.
    I'd get him started on it asap.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i'm already using general cure on him.

is there a stronger antibiotic besides metronidazole (which is also called flagyl, for mammals, including humans!) out there that people use on fish? obviously i could google this and get a million answers - but just looking for something anyone experienced on here knows firsthand.

this would be my last option before myself, or with the help of a vet student i know, aspirating his abdomen to try and save him.

either that or making him comfortable and letting nature take its course.
    20gal: 18 neon tetra, ghost shrimp
    5.5gal: 5 glolight tetra
    5.5gal: royal blue/purple butterfly rose tail betta

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    Sometimes you can use meds on fish that arent ment for fish, but usong a human antibiotic on a fish seems bad to me. I know some doses can be quite strong and an od of antibiotics can kill your fish or make them immune.....
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!