· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Albino Convict and Firemouth Cichlids.

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all, we're extremely new to fish keeping, and we have a couple of questions. We started out with just the female albino convict, after our daughter brought home a small tank full of them, and only the one survived her neglect before we realized what was going on. Anyway, we felt sorry for the poor fish and got her two companions, a male and a female firemouth. Obviously we had no idea which fish were male and which female when we started out, but have since figured it out. We got them a bigger tank and all new equipment and decorations, and they seem to have settled in well, the old tank was lid and lightless and the equipment was inadequate for its size. We are trying to find out as much as we can about these fish and how to care for them properly, as fast as we can, so any help we can get would be appreciated. The tank they are now in is a 125 litre, so they have plenty of room, the firemouths are about four and a half, and five centimetres long, the albino is about 6cms. The female albino, since moving to the bigger tank just over a week ago, has begun to act strangely. She fought constantly with the firemouths in the smaller tank, though she never actually bit them. In the bigger tank she began to court the male, it was slow, but she chased him about and even allowed him to feed next to her. She wouldn't allow the firemouth female out of the corner, though the firemouth female comes out to feed. Now, for the last couple of days, the albino is guarding a small tower at one end of the tank. We get the feeling she may have laid eggs in there, but we can't see anything when we look, and she won't allow either of the firemouths out of the corner. She did have a bright orange underbelly and upper body, but this is now disappearing. She is clearly more aggressive, she darts out to attack me when I look at her, and doesn't leave the tower for more than a few seconds, though she hasn't actually bitten or harmed the firemouths. I don't really want to breed the convict, I'm not even certain the male has done his part, but will moving the tower to look or remove any spawn stress her out? Also, I've been wondering about placing a divider between the albino and firemouths, to allow the firemouths to come out from the corner. I don't want to do this, I'd like the three of them to be company for each other, but I feel so sorry for the little female firemouth. Any suggestions?

0 Not allowed!
    Pretty sure you're going to need a larger tank than a 30 gal. Not experienced with these fish, but I'm pretty sure they are way too aggressive to be in such close quarters with each other.

Forgive me if I'm wrong on either of those points.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have not kept either of these fish but convicts are known to very aggressive when they try to breed. You should separate these fish before one of them gets hurt. Also a 30 gallonish tank just wont be big enough for three fish that get over 5 inches each. A divider wont fix your problem long term because each fish wont have enough swimming room.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Convicts are aggressive to any cichlid fish that is close to their size. If the FM won't fight back, she will keep them to a corner. It's more likely that the tower is her territory. You can remove it and check for eggs, but I have my doubts.

Cichlids do not get lonely.