· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz 
    In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    Hi there, IMO unless you're planning on breeding a particular species that requires a lower ph to spawn the most important thing is a stable ph. If your water is soft you may need to add some crushed coral to the filter to help stabilize the ph but other than that it's easier for you and your fish to just maintain your ph where it is.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So with a pH of 7.6-7.8 do you think it can be harmful to me fish?
    Do you think I will be very limited as to what I can get?>

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Xmas! - Sandz Merry Christmas!  Hope you and your family have a great one! - KevinVA Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 I can't send you a real one, sorry for your loses - steeler1 Happy belated Birthday. - steeler58 Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA 
    Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Sorry for you loss, wish it was a real one. - steeler58 It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA It's fish flake friday, like the old days!! - steeler58 Beer makes monday not suck so bad.. - Sandz 
    In honor of Steelers 5k posts! - Sandz Couldn't give you rep, yet, but you deserve it with your contributions in the Discus/Angel thread.  Thanks! - KevinVA T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Just for you being you! - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 

0 Not allowed!
    My ph is 7.6 out of the tap with a kh of 3 (soft water) and I have Black Phantom, Red Eye, Serpae Tetras, Bolivian Ram, Oto and Corydoras catfish and all do well. Make a spreadsheet of the fish you like, note their requirements and go from there. Stable ph is most important and a completely cycled tank before adding more fish.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulse155 View Post
    So with a pH of 7.6-7.8 do you think it can be harmful to me fish?
    Do you think I will be very limited as to what I can get?>
    Like we said before. NO!

Water hardness is way more important. Unless that's really low like a GH of 3 or less there's no reason to do anything. Even with a GH of 3 the only reason to do anything is to prevent ph crashes.

0 Not allowed!
    In general, as long as fish are properly acclimated before being put into the tank, most fish will do well - consider the fact that many people order fish online and they are coming from all different pH levels.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Neons are really not a good choice for a new tank, especially an uncycled one.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulse155 View Post
    Also right now I have some tacky blue gravel in my tank and I am getting substrate on Tuesday. Is there any way I can put the substrate in the tank without destroying the cycle?
    I did not see a response from anyone regarding your question regarding the substrate. The beneficial bacteria live primarily in your filter media very little is in the gravel so changing it out won't effect the tank all that much. Also neon's are a sensitive fish, so I suggest testing frequently and complete necessary water changes until you know the tank is fully cycled.

*Sorry for some reason I did not see the other posts, maybe the site did not fully refresh. :(
    Last edited by ijankrom; 05-21-2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Oh, now I see the other posts.
    25 Gal - Tropical
    Custom made Wet/Dry/Sump Filter System, AquaClear 20 Powerhead, RenaCal Excel 300 Heater, artificial plants
    Fish - 8 Blackskirt Tetras, 4 Red Wag Platy's, Silver Hatchet, German Blue Ram, Bulldog Pleco, Assassin snail.
    "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." King Solomon.
    Pictures of my 10 Gal Sump Filtration project