· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    PH isn't an issue, especially with easy fish like neons. Water hardness is way more important. Neons would do best and live longer in soft water.

Awards Showcase

BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 
    6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady 
    Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 
    Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Leave your filters/gravel/decorations lone, do not clean...ditch the test strips and use the API test kit only, follow the directions precisely...get some Seacham's Prime for your dechlorinator, it is far superior to the Tetra stuff...and is the only chemical I would be adding to that tank

Read and follow the instructions here, if you haven't already: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

I would not mess with the substrate just yet, you may lose more BB (beneficial bacteria) by doing so...
    Last edited by Slaphppy7; 05-19-2013 at 07:47 PM.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    Leave your filters/gravel/decorations lone, do not clean...ditch the test strips and use the API test kit only, follow the directions precisely...get some Seacham's Prime for your dechlorinator, it is far superior to the Tetra stuff...and is the only chemical I would be adding to that tank

Read and follow the instructions here, if you haven't already: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

I would not mess with the substrate just yet, you may lose more BB (beneficial bacteria) by doing so...
    But I have it on the way, I cant stand this blue rock :(

And the water is soft.

Awards Showcase

BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 
    6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady 
    Thanks for the rep ;) - steeler58 For the YapMeister - Compass Another milestone! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl For passing another memeber ;-) - steeler58 
    Have another Rummy for 12,000 posts ;) - steeler58 Thanks for the rep - mommy1 Medicine for what ails you. - Taurus cheers! - RiversGirl For passing yet another member ;-) - steeler58 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    My rock is black, white, and pink..."clown puke gravel", it's called...of course, this is my daughter's tank, so she chose it from the beginning...but I can live with it

Have you read the sticky about cycling with fish?

If you truly care about the welfare of your few remaining fish, the gravel color is insignificant at this point, IMO...

I would make sure that tank is cycled before making any changes to ANYTHING that could be helping grow BB...I'm talking from a bit of experience in that matter...

Patience pays off when cycling a tank, otherwise have a good net ready to remove the dead fish that can't live through toxic water conditions an un-cycled tank provides

Just my 2 cents...

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So since I'm 2 weeks into cycling now, what am I looking for for my cycle to be finished

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    My cycle with fish took about 5 weeks...you will see 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and some nitrate...again, this is detailed thoroughly in the sticky provided...

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    No it's not. There's nothing wrong with the tetra stuff. The seachem is a lot more economical to use though

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    No it's not. There's nothing wrong with the tetra stuff. The seachem is a lot more economical to use though
    True that.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you want to change the gravel, change it. There's not enough of anything valuable going on in there to be worth not liking, or worse, hating your tank.

It much the same principal as running the heater lowers gas mileage in a car. ICE engines run more efficiently at temp, and the heater reduces engine temp... slightly. So, technically, the statement is true. But the margin of change is so low as to be, for all practical purposes, false.

Neons are not early tank fish, as they are very... death prone. They prefer a tank that has been established for a while. It has nothing to do with cycle... just to way it is. Neon breeders are all overseas, and a good many have been importing very poor stock for years. Some batches will not live no matter what you do.

However, they are also very, very small fish, with a bioload that is just about akin to zero. For people here to suggest that 5 neons somehow fouled a 20 gallon tank to the point of toxicity in just a few hours is a totally unacceptable level of stupidity.

My major complaint with this website is the almost pathological need to blame every problem on water chemistry.
    Looks about 40 Gallon Tank
    Betta, Buenos Aires Tetra, Neon Tetra, Harlequin Rasbora, and Otocinclus
    Wisteria, Amazon Sword, Java Fern, and my unstoppable Trumpet Snail Army

Looks about 75 Gallon Tank
    Wet and Empty; thinking Scalare, Corydoras, Otocinclus

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So the pH of my tap water runs about 7.6+, so thats what my tank is running at.
    What should I do to get this to a more normal ph?