· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Just at the end of a cycle, something in my water slowly killing my tetras :(

0 Not allowed!
    So it's been 2 weeks now. I had 2 tetras in the water who were living fine for over a week. Today I added 3 more. They all seemed fine the first 8 hours or so. The one slowly moved away from the pack swims around all disoriented and then maybe 10 mins later dies. Now a second one of the 3 is starting to do it.
    My ammonia is low-0, hardness is fine, nitrates and trites are fine.
    The only thing a bit off if it is at all is my pH which is at 7.6. I added seachem neutral ph to fix it.
    It's a 20 gallon tank.

0 Not allowed!
    Don't throw in chemicals if you have no real need to. Specify "fine"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The only way I have to test hardness is by test strips, my chemical test kit doesnt do that. It ranges from Fine to too hard, too soft.

The 2nd guy is still alive. The third looks perfect still as do the previous 2. The 4th is swimming around alone but the same way that the other fish do, playing in the current etc.
    He just is disoriented, does like 360's and stuff

Awards Showcase

I don't like to drink alone..... Cheers - Cliff because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED 
    Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    What kind of tetra?
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    Agree with talldutchie - what exactly are your water parameters?

What you are describing are fish swimming around in an uncycled tank.

There is no need to be so concerned with the pH/hardness of your tank if you acclimated the fish properly. Your main concern should be ammonia (with fish in there, it should start going up due to their waste), nitrites & nitrates which your liquid test kit DOES test for (if that's what you mean by "chemical" kit).

Have you changed your water at all since you started your tank? What kind of filter is on the tank?
    Are you using dechlorinator and what kind? That is what you put into new water you add to the tank.
    Also, hope you are not adding the water from the fish store into your tank - that is dangerous.
    Your tank should go through the cycling process 1st.
    At this time, there is no need to add any chemicals or change anything in your filter (you are now trying to grow bacteria in the filter media). Any other questions, toss them out!
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    These are just your every day neon tetras.

So heres how my tests read

On the Tetra EasyStrips:
    Ammonia- Safe (0-20), this has gone up from a complete 0
    Nitrite- Safe (0)
    Hardness- Very soft- Soft
    Total Chlorine- Safe (0)
    Alkalinity- Ideal (120)
    pH- 7.2-7.8

According to my API master chemical test kit:
    ph- 7.6
    NH3- 0-.25ppm (~.15?)
    NO2- 0 ppm
    NO3- 0ppm
    High pH- 7.4-7.6

The way I acclimate the fish takes about 45-60 minutes. I put the bag in the water with the fish, periodically I take a bit out of the bag and add a bit of the tank water to the bag until the bag is completely full.
    No I don't add the water to the tank.
    I didnt change the water for the first 1.5 weeks, however I have been doing routine 30% or so water changes for the past 4 days or so.
    I am using a chlorinator with every water change. I use Tetra AquaSafePlus
    I also have been adding a Topfin bacteria supplement and an API quick start chemical.
    I did also change a filter cartridge about 2 days ago. Should Ihave done this?

Thanks for all the help!
    And my second guy died overnight unfortunately. The original two look perfect still and the 3rd I got with the other 2 dying is as happy as can be with them.

Edit:
    And the filter I have is an Aqueon AT40 large. Flow rate 83-155 GPH with 2 large cartridges
    Last edited by Impulse155; 05-19-2013 at 06:20 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    ah, there it is. You change the cartridge you lose a large part of your bacteria. If you are showing ammonia, if only a trace, and no nitrate I seriously wonder about your cycle.

If you want to use a bacteria supplement then use only one. you got two and neutral ph. That's beginning to sound like a chemistry experiment instead of fishkeeping.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    When i went to the fish store I brought water b/c I didnt know what thye problem was. They said my pH tested high and recommended the neutpH. Should I not use it?
    What about water changes?
    And I was hesitant about changing the cartridge. I knew I shouldnt have :(

Also right now I have some tacky blue gravel in my tank and I am getting substrate on Tuesday. Is there any way I can put the substrate in the tank without destroying the cycle?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you want to use a bacteria supplement then use only one. you got two and neutral ph. That's beginning to sound like a chemistry experiment instead of fishkeeping.
    Things are best left as natural as possible.

I just cycled a 20 g planted for some glow lights. I haven't changed their filter for two months, and some driftwood in the tank brought my 7.6 pH to a cool 6.4. They are all very happy tetras. I will probably only rinse my cartridges in tank or treated water. I've heard you can leave them until they start falling apart

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was actually thinking of buying some drift wood to lower my pH, plus its an eventual addition to the tank i want once I get my substrate.