· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Very quick update, will make a video later and upload it.

The Dr Tims did the trick and my Ammo has dropped right away, no trace remaining. Very slight trace of Nitrite (detoxified with prime again) but Nitrates are up at 30.

Hopefully Nitrates too will start to drop, the Algae Scrubber is showing some really crazy thick growth :)

Went on an all day trip yesterday and came home with 4 nice new additions.

Got a tiny baby clown to pair up with my existing clown. I lost my female last year in a jumping incident so it was time to replace.

Also got a beautiful green candy cane, ultra pom pom and some nice green and red zoa's.

I've had to move a couple of corals around so far for flow etc but so far so good.

Monti's are starting to colour up more, unfortunately my favourite plating monti started strip from the middle out. Seems to have stopped and it might even recover over time but I'm a bit dissapointed.

Also collected my skimmer from a friend yesterday, it is a BM Nac 3.5. He took it all apart to clean the other day and has bent the impellor. it still works bit is making a bit of a noise. He has ordered a new impellor and it is in its way to me. I've got it running and its pulling a fair bit out already.

I've also ordered a spare pump for the skimmer as I've heard mixed reports on them. Some people say they need cleaned quite often, 3-4 weeks, if not they loose efficency and don't create the same amount of bubbles.
    As I work abroad I've decided a second pump that my wife can just swap out and soak the old one in a bucket will save her having to strip and clean it when I'm not here.
    The No 1 aim here is to reduce maint for her at all costs but still have a lovely mixed reef tank.

Anyway, will get a little vid uploaded onto youtube and linked here asap.
    Used to try and keep track of my fish here.....

Ran out of room and time!!!

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

0 Not allowed!
    Very quick update, will make a video later and upload it.

The Dr Tims did the trick and my Ammo has dropped right away, no trace remaining. Very slight trace of Nitrite (detoxified with prime again) but Nitrates are up at 30.

Hopefully Nitrates too will start to drop, the Algae Scrubber is showing some really crazy thick growth :)

Went on an all day trip yesterday and came home with 4 nice new additions.

Got a tiny baby clown to pair up with my existing clown. I lost my female last year in a jumping incident so it was time to replace.

Also got a beautiful green candy cane, ultra pom pom and some nice green and red zoa's.

I've had to move a couple of corals around so far for flow etc but so far so good.

Monti's are starting to colour up more, unfortunately my favourite plating monti started strip from the middle out. Seems to have stopped and it might even recover over time but I'm a bit dissapointed.

Also collected my skimmer from a friend yesterday, it is a BM Nac 3.5. He took it all apart to clean the other day and has bent the impellor. it still works bit is making a bit of a noise. He has ordered a new impellor and it is in its way to me. I've got it running and its pulling a fair bit out already.

I've also ordered a spare pump for the skimmer as I've heard mixed reports on them. Some people say they need cleaned quite often, 3-4 weeks, if not they loose efficency and don't create the same amount of bubbles.
    As I work abroad I've decided a second pump that my wife can just swap out and soak the old one in a bucket will save her having to strip and clean it when I'm not here.
    The No 1 aim here is to reduce maint for her at all costs but still have a lovely mixed reef tank.

Anyway, will get a little vid uploaded onto youtube and linked here asap.

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

0 Not allowed!
    Looking forward to the video

Let us know what you think about your bubble magnis skimmer. I'm saving up for a curve 9 for my 180.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I'll tell you what I currently think of it...... It's dead lol

Maybe I should have waited till the new impellor arrived before using it but I thought I could put up with the rattle noise. It's worked really good, pulled alot of crap out already but its been running for about 4 hours.

Noticed it go quiet about 45 mins ago. I looked in the cabinet and the bubbles have stopped. I simply unplugged it as it was bath time for my boy.

Tried plugging it in again just now and nothing. Will take it out later and see. My guess is that the rattling of the impellor has either killed the impellor shaft completely, heated up the impellor and jammed it, heated up the windings and damaged the pump or jammed causing a rush of current and blown the fuse.

Either way I think IF I get it running tonight I'll only run it for an hour at a time till the new impellor arrives (possibly this week) or the new complete pump (also possibly this week). The amount it pulled out in the couple of hours is certainly better than nothing, more than I expected anyway.

I'm not dissapointed or pissed off, I knew when I collected it that the impellor was faulty, I'll just be slightly annoyed at myself if I find I've ruined the pump. Would have been nice to have 2 once the new one arrives.

0 Not allowed!
    The rattle has shattered the back of the pinwheel to bits. Looks like I now need to wait for the new one to arrive.... Oh well.

Forgot to add earlier. I've ordered an STC-1000 Temperature controller for my system.

I've read about peoples heaters sticking on in the past and it's such a simple thing but can wipe out a whole tank.

The STC-1000 has a temperature probe and a digital display.
    You tell it your desired tank temperature and give it a window (ie 0.5 deg C above and below) which it will turn on your heater and fans/chiller to control the temp.

With the STC you then set the temp on your actual heater a little higher than normal so it doesn't kick in, it just lets the STC turn it on and off.

If the STC were to stick on then the heater would hopefully turn itself off at it's setting. The chances of both failing at the same time are very small. The chances of one failing are enough to worry in my opinion.

My settings are going to be 26deg C for the STC and 27.5 Deg for the Heater. This will mean if we ever see the tank at 27 deg we know to check if the STC has failed and the heater is functioning. If its not that and the STC is in Cool mode, we know its time to add fans or a chiller to the system that the STC can control.

0 Not allowed!
    little evening vid of the tank. about 10% white and 30% blue by this point

0 Not allowed!
    ok parameters update..... Has Dr Tims really worked????

Ammonia..... 0

Nitrite..... 0

Nitrate...... 0

To say I'm actually amazed is an understatement to be honest. 9 days and I'm actually seeing some very good reading.

Total losses of fish and corals.... 0

One think I did forget to add was that I basically had no CUC left (cleaner and urchin basically) because of my mantis/pistol.
    Half way through this test I also added 17 hermits, 12 nassarius snails and 5 turbo snails to keep ontop of the inevitable early algaes etc.

Also added on 3 occasions were vials and bottles of live micro life including copepods, amphipods, water flee's and a few other bits. All may have had traces of ammo or trates in their water so there have been other external inputs.

Feeding the whole time has been my own home made frozen food, a dense mix of seafood, white fish, flake, nori and D-D coral paste blended and frozen in ice cubes.

Feeding as much as the fish would eat in 3 minutes appox about 6 times a day on average.

0 Not allowed!
    Started on the Algae scrubber build yesterday.

Got to say I've learned LOADS about how to glue acrylic in the last 24 hours!

Will post some pics tonight once I've got the last few major bits in.

I broke my Dremel yesterday and have a new one on the way, also I'm still waiting for some bits for my overall Electrical revamp (timer, temp controller) so it's going to be a functional build so the wife can use the new scrubber while I'm away but it will still need the final polish next month.

0 Not allowed!
    Still waiting for Pump and impellor..... oh well.

At least most of the bits for my Algae scrubber build arrived so I got building last night. I'm building my STC-1000 into the same box and also a digital timer for the lights so it's still a work in progress but its looking pretty good if I do say so myself lol

LED's attached with thermal pads

Frame in background setting

Heatsinks being added to rear of aluminium sheet for extra protection

0 Not allowed!
    First test looks good

Clear cover added with gap for air around LED's

Getting there