· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Right ok. So keeping them on the rack gives them optimal water flow and allows you to monitor them from all angles? (I'm a learner in salty-speak)
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    yea I can control the about of flow and light easier but also I can remove them one by one and clean any algae off them.

I think for the branching stuff I will end up fragging pieces off these ones to attach to the rock and bin the receded and damaged bits.
    need to get then colored up and growing first.
    Used to try and keep track of my fish here.....

Ran out of room and time!!!

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for all the questions, but do they behave a bit like plants then? Like "taking cuttings" and replanting?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    don't worry about it. None of us would ever learn if we didn't ask anything!

yea it's pretty much like taking a cutting of a plant.
    as long as the water conditions, flow and lighting are good for that coral both parts should make a good recovery.

Instead I'll tell you the best piece of fishkeeping equipment ever....... Algae Scrubber :)

0 Not allowed!
    little update.

Some bits ordered for my LED Algae Scrubber upgrade (currently running my old CFL one atm).

Ordered;

20pc 3w 660nm (RED) LED's.

2x Meanwell LED drivers

14x Individual alluminium heatsinks

Adhesive thermal tape

Clear Acrylic

Black acrylic

Acrylic bonding glue

Dremmel 561 cutting bits

So the plan.....

Basically my current Algae scrubber is a 12x12 piece of mesh hung over the sump with 4x30w CFL's, 2 either side and it is fed from my ball valve on the return from the tank.

This has worked ok for 18 months and I am a great believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but there are a few niggles.

The first issue is that as its fed directly from tank return we have to remove it from the ball valve each time to clean. Not a biggie but it does put pressure on the pipework and twice the wife has pulled the ball valve off the bulkhead and made a watery mess lol.

The second is that the CFL lamps hanging down impede removing the mesh for cleaning. I attached the lamps to the top inside the cabinet for security but it's a pain in the bum removing it to clean, even more of a pain to try and remove the lights.

The third issue is again the return from tank. As I am going to be adding a skimmer to the first chamber I want more of the flow going through this. As it stands majority of my water goes through chamber 2 and only a trickle goes directly to chamber 1 first.

So scrubber Mk 5 (I think its MK5, there have been a few early versions before running this one for about 18 months).

I am going to be using 12x 3w Red LED's. 6 each side.

The growing area of mesh will be 12 inches long and 4 - 5 inches high.

I will be building a black acrylic box that will sit over chamber 2 of the sump (my live rock chamber) and be fed from a maxijet 1200 pump in the end chamber next to the return pump.

The LED's will be incorporated into the box and protected from splashing by clear acrylic. The mesh will hang out of the bottom of the box so the mesh touches the water when the tank is running yet the box is clear of the high water mark when the pumps are turned off.

I am planning making it so that there is enough head height to simply lift the mesh out of the top of the box to clean it. Using a barbed connection on the hose to quickly disconnect it and make cleaning simple.

From doing the calculations on the Algae Scrubber site my area of mesh, although reduced from its current will be more than enough for the tank.
    Due to the face I will be running a skimmer, Purigen and will have more open rock to avoid collection of waste, also the intense and directed light from the LED's providing for more dense growth I believe that overall the system will be much more efficient that ever before.

Lastly with a total of 36w of power consumption instead of 120w and not having to replace bulbs ever 4-6 months the new scrubber will pay all its material and build costs in under 1 year and the easier maintainance will just be a bonus!

0 Not allowed!
    Post some pics of the scrubber biuld as well.

Sounds like a well planned set-up for sure
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    my only unplanned part is will the maxi jet give enough flow. on paper yes....

the algae will tell me this really, if required I'll upgrade the pump.

I am using 16/22 hose at the scrubber end and 12/16 at the pump with a step down barb connection. if a bigger pump is required with 16/22 hose it will fit strait on with no drama's :-)

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Really like the look of the new tank. Am interested on seeing the scrubber build as well...

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Def interested in the scrubber build. I need some good ideas. The tank looks great btw.

0 Not allowed!
    Right.... Minor update time.

All the fish went back in and using the Dr Tim's one and only seems to be keeping the ammo at a minimum.

With ALL my fish back in the ammo peaked at 0.5ppm and dropped to 0.25ppm. It's stayed there for 3 days.
    Using Seachems "prime" to detoxify the Ammo and Nitrite while its cycling so no harm to the fish.

Most of the parts of my new Algae scrubber have arrived. I don't think I'll have all the bits intime to make it before I go back out to Korea to work so I'll have to build it in July.

Off to collect some more dry goods and maybe a couple of corals from my old LFS tomorrow. 155 miles each way so taking a friend and making a day of it.
    There are a few LFS within 30 miles of where I live but to be truely honest they are all a massive dissapontment.

Visited 2 yesterday and both had white spot on their fish and both had many dead corals in the tanks and both also had Aiptasia in the coral tanks!