· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Need help!

1. Default Need help!

0 Not allowed!
    My son has a 30 gallon freshwater tank. He originally had 8 serpae tetras, 4 sailfin mollies, 3 rosy barbs, a black kuhli loach and a rubbermouth pleco. We check the water constantly, and besides having pretty hard water (which results in a higher pH of about 7.5) everything is always perfect.

About a week ago, both of his white sailfin mollies died. We had no clue what was wrong, except for some red marks on the side of one and the mouth of the other. None of the other fish seemed affected at all. A couple of days later, the two black mollies showed signs of ich. I am wondering if the the white mollies had ich first, and we didn't notice because of their coloring. Maybe the red spots were from rubbing against something?

As soon as I noticed the Ich, I did a 25% water change, then I added some salt and raised the temp. I now know that was a mistake since our pleco and loach died a day later:( I guess that's what I get for not researching enough.

After a little more research, I decided to just get some Ich medicine from our LFS. I did about a 30% water change before starting the treatment. Started that treatment 2.5 days ago. The two black mollies are still covered in white spots, but are still swimming around, eating, etc. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the treatment works! The Rosy barbs have been great throughout, and if anything they seem to be happier and more active the last couple of days.

My mystery today is the tetras! I went in to check on the mollies, and noticed two of the tetras laying on their backs at the bottom of the tank. Both were breathing, and one would move a little once in a while. Within a couple of hours the first had died, and the other is now floating towards the top, on it's back, but still breathing. Another is swimming right side up, but is lethargic and is staying close to the surface. I looked over the one that died really carefully and didn't see any signs of Ich, but his color had changed from red to grayish.

Just tested the water:

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrate: 20
    Nitrite: 0
    pH: 7.5
    Chlorine: 0
    KH: 180
    GH: 60

Temperature: 72

ANY IDEAS? I've been reading about swim bladder, but am wondering why it would afflict 3 at once and so suddenly? Nothing has changed, besides the Ich treatment and salt (which was already a small amount, and further diluted by the water change).

Again, any help would be so appreciated!

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I wonder if it is columnaris and not ich, here is some information to help you decide. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...is_disease.php
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    I wonder if it is columnaris and not ich, here is some information to help you decide. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...is_disease.php
    I'm almost positive that the mollies have ich. The tiny white spots look exactly like every picture I've pulled up online. But maybe the tetras have something else?

Awards Showcase

Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog 
    A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 
    Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe it was a combination of the salt and then the meds that weakened them. I wish I could be more help.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    salt + meds = double stress.

You got a bad mix of fish, hard and softwater, low and higher temps.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well, five of the eight tetras died during the night. The three remaining aren't showing any of the same signs, but I can tell they are stressed by their low numbers (all hiding, staying in same spot).

Thanks for the advice.

Any tips on fish that would be compatible with our hard water and remaining fish (rosy barbs and mollies)? Would you recommend returning the remaining tetras?

0 Not allowed!
    Returning them might be a good idea. Recommendations? Not without knowing what the tank looks like.