· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default API test results...need recommendations

0 Not allowed!
    So my wife bought my 2yo son a betta. It will technically be a family fish so no worries I'll be taking care of him. In a rush to get the little guy in a home i rushed out and gpurchased a 10g aquarium kit. I know i should have cycled the tank first...no excuses but i need some help on my API test results which are listed below.

10 gallon tetra aquarium
    whisper 10 filter
    small bubble stone with regulator.....turned way down so not to disturb the little fella
    Conditioner added to britta filtered water

5-11-13 Tank setup- added "cycle" per instuctions- i know..most say this doesnt work but i was desperate :)
    5-12-13 Second dose of cycle
    5-13-13 Third dose of cycle- Betta introduced to tank
    5-14-13 PH- 7.6 Amonia- 0 N02- 0 N03- 5
    5-15-13 PH- 7.6 Amonia- 0 N02- 0 N03- 10
    5-16-13 PH- 7.6 Amonia- .18 N02- 0 N03- 20

What should i do today? I was planning on doing 25% water changes once a week starting with the 1st partial on Monday. Should i go ahead and do more per week?

Also, my son wants some schooling fish like 5 neon tetras. When would be a good time to introduce those guys with maybe a couple of amano shrimp.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Read this http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492
    Relax
    Keep testing daily and do big enough water changes to keep the ammonia and eventually the nitrite down under .25ppm. With only one betta in the tank, you may not get readings over .25ppm weekly, if that is the case 50% water change weekly will be fine.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    first welcome and good for you for getting your betta a proper sized tank.
    cycling a tank with the betta will take a while because he's not going to produce an abundance of ammonia.
    Use your API liquid master test kit to test the water daily for a while. any time ammonia and or nitrites approach .50ppm do a water change to get it back to .25. keep nitrates under 20. It's that simple. You may have to make daily water changes for a while once ammonia starts to build up - your tests will tell you when to do the water changes.

You didn't mention a heaater. Bettas should be kept at 82 minimum.
    Don't add any new fish until your tank is fully cycled. this could take a couple months.
    once your tests read 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites before a water change, the tank is cycled.
    there's a sticky in the beginners section detailing cycling with fish and I'd strongly suggest you read it. It will give you a lot of insight on the cycle process.
    Additionally, I'd add a 2nd filter in preparation for the additional fish. your whisper 10 is rated for a 10 gallon tank but that rating test is made with no media in the filter. most here double their filtration on their tanks to insure it can handle the bioload produced by your fish. You could add the second filter after your current filter and media in the filter have grown enough Beneficial bacteria to sustain the betta. In fact, you could tuck an additional filter cartridge or a filter sponge into your filter now so that media would be seeded with BB, then when you add your 2nd filter, move that extra media over to the new filter and it will be instantly seeded.
    Good luck and do ask more questions!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the responses.... I will keep an eye on things and adjust water changes accordingly.

One more thing @ fishmommie....my kit did also come with a heater but it appears to stay a constant 78. Is this to cold. the heater isn't adjustable as far as i can tell.

Awards Showcase

TGIF! - Compass My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue 
    TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus 
    TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus 
    Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, and welcome to fish keeping!

The heater that came with my tank kit was not adjustable either...

One of the good people here suggested this heater for my 10 gallon tank, and I like it alot...fully adjustable, and fully submersible (even though the instructions that come with it say that it is not submersible, it is, no worries)

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-M-100-W...al+heater+100w
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    It might help to get an adjustable heater - I've read from others that their bettas weren't very happy in cooler water - affects their coloring and behavior. The issue with a pre-set heater is it probably wont' heat the water even to 78. You will want to get a thermometer so you can see just how warm your water gets. Very often the equipment that comes with kits isn't adequate - like what was mentioned about your filter.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome. thank you for the link Slaphppy7. I will seriously consider the upgrade.

Awards Showcase

TGIF! - Compass My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue 
    TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus 
    TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus right back at cha! - fishmommie TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 Happy B Day! - Taurus 
    Which leaves on to ask which came first the cake or the beer! - Taurus Happy B-day buddy! - steeler58 Happy 51st...and many more! - Rue Congrats on your cycle!! - RiversGirl thanks - fishmommie 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoaty55 View Post
    Awesome. thank you for the link Slaphppy7. I will seriously consider the upgrade.
    You're welcome!...it sounds like you bought the same kit we did...my daughter saved her money, bought it herself with fish at the same time, and just through them in...they lasted about a week before they started dying....cycling is the single most important thing that beginners know little or nothing about...I sure did not have a clue until I signed up here at the AC and started getting all the great advice...

As for that "water conditioner", it's pretty much useless...the only conditioner you need is called Seacham's Prime...it is invaluable not only as a de-chlorinator, but does many more things that are good for your fish...I would look into it if I were you

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    everyone's added great advice! the seachem's prime, btw - in addition to being the best product I've found, is also the most cost effective conditioner to use because it's so concentrated.
    and you can pick up a floating thermometer with a suction cup to stick it on the glass if you want for less than $3.00.

Make sure your betta has something to occupy him so he doesn't get bored. like a cave or a hollow log or some driftwood he can swim in and out of. You can make a cave by stacking flat rocks if you don't want to buy anything. just make certain the rocks aren't too porous and that you can stack them solidly enough that they won't fall and crash on him. They sometimes like their privacy and they do get bored easily. they like plants to swim in and around too - fake or real.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Additionally, I'd add a 2nd filter in preparation for the additional fish. your whisper 10 is rated for a 10 gallon tank but that rating test is made with no media in the filter. most here double their filtration on their tanks to insure it can handle the bioload produced by your fish. You could add the second filter after your current filter and media in the filter have grown enough Beneficial bacteria to sustain the betta.
    Excellant advice....or, you could simply upgrade your Whisper (which is what we had) to a bigger size...I personally went up to a filter that is designed for a THIRTY gallon tank for my 10 gallon...excellant filtration, the fish love the water movement it provides...the water flow is adjustable...it will fit the opening in your tank hood just fine:

http://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-30-P.../dp/B00020SVDG